1997 continental clunks

continental randy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Please help, my 97 continental clunks in the rear when i go over bumps, sounds like something loose in trunk. I have tightened spare tire. changed the sway bar bushings, and changed the upper shock bushings all Ford OE parts. Still have same clunk, I have put on my hoist at my work and checked everything possible, could the $200 rear shocks be bad? I hate throwing money away. Thanks

Please help, my 97 continental clunks in the rear when i go over bumps, sounds like something loose in trunk. I have tightened spare tire. changed the sway bar bushings, and changed the upper shock bushings all Ford OE parts. Still have same clunk, I have put on my hoist at my work and checked everything possible, could the $200 rear shocks be bad? I hate throwing money away. Thanks

Randy,
Check the exhaust system, it could be one of the pipes is hitting the underneath of the vehicle or bumper skirting. I had a Sable that clunked underneath and it was driving me crazy trying to find it, one day a mechanic pushed up on the tailpipe and it hit the underneath, replaced the pipe holder and viola, the noise went away.

clunk

Checked the exhaust system, spent over hour on rack pulling and bouncing, still cant find source of rattle/clunk. Still thinking maybe something in shocks. Next step will get in trunk while friend drives me to see if i can isolate noise.

My 1997 Continental had to have a stabilizer bar joint replaced last year and it was clunking just like yours when going over bumps. The part was $60 and it cured it instantly. I can find the part number if you need it. The part that was replaced was on the drivers side rear.

Checked the exhaust system, spent over hour on rack pulling and bouncing, still cant find source of rattle/clunk. Still thinking maybe something in shocks. Next step will get in trunk while friend drives me to see if i can isolate noise.

Had wife drive me around while I was in trunk. sounds like something in suspension. new stabilizer bushings, links are good checked everything, exaust not hitting. no loose bushings,ball joints, wheel bearings, has anyone had similiar problem? pleeeeeeeeassse help.

Hi new guy here. I was wondering if there was any solution to this problem. I have a 2000 conti and having the same problem seems to be on the rear passenger side then it sounds like it is coming from the trunk and then other times sounds like a shock.
I emptied my trunk, changed the sway bar links, checked for anthing loose under the car everthing seems tight, took rear seat out looking for a tool someone might have left. Unbolted the rear shocks took a ride still doing it, got in the trunk and had my better half drive me around and it sounds like under the car but where. As you can tell she did let me out of the trunk.
I was wondering on the independet suspension where it hooks up in the center of the car is there any bushing that be can bought seperatly and what would they call them?. I can't get the car on the lift for a couple of more days just wanted to get ready if I could get them.
Any other suggestions????????????/
Thanks
poppers

Poppers I need you to get in the trunk and look at the top of the shocks. Mine just had a stud of the shock with a nut on it. Ford had update and replaced the nut with a 5lbs. weight. Took almost all my clunk away. This heavy weight absorbs the shock of the road, dont ask how it works but it did. I was told by dealer this was installed on 1999 and later cont.

Hi, The shocks that are on this car has the big black top on it the stud itself does not show. I don't have the electronic style shocks just the reg gas shocks I disconnected the shocks at the bottom and tied them up so they wouldn't bounce all over the place and drove it over a few bumps and was still getting the clunk. after that I ruled out the shocks since they weren't even hook up. I tightened everything I could find that was loose readjusted the trunk lid no more play, lenses, license plate, stuffed cloth in the doors in case they were bouncing. From inside the trunk which my wife let me out after a small ride (which surprise me she probably wished that she didn't let me out since i complain all the time about the clunk) seems like the noise is coming from under the car like in the center right around thhe trunk area. A couple of time I had the car up on the lift I could not find anything loose or any play in it since on the lift it just hangs I shook everything.
Sorry this is so long but my wife Thanks you for letting me use your shoulder to cry on.
Glad you found your solution hopefully mine will come soon when and if I do find the solution I will post it.
Thanks again
poppers

well I still have the clunking going on under the car more in the middle sounds like.
I seen that the 1998 continental had a bulletine for the dealers about Clunking under the rear of the car it was #9813.
Does anybody know what that was about and what the solution was?
Or where can I get that info. I called the dealer and of course they want me to bring it in I'm not ready for that getting close though.
Thanks in advance.
poppers

i had a 97 that had a clunk and the guy said it was some type of shield in the muffler or somewhere around the muffler that came loose. He did something to tighten it up. But it came loose some months later. I believe it has something to do with the muffler.

I had a clunking that took forever to diagnose because a mechanic wiped off the oil that would have made the problem obvious. It was those 2 little horizontally mounted mini shocks that dampen the rear sway bar. They are just inside the rear wheels easily visible with the wheel(s) off.

I have the same problem with my 96 Conti. It sounds like something is in trunk? Has anyone found a solution for this?

i think it must be those darn gremlins in the trunk. I have a couple livving in the trunk of my 92 continental and they are always giving me headaches. I'm in the middle of a valve job because of those pesky critters.

It still sounds to me you did not change the stabilizer links, they will be broken letting the sway bar hit the truck floor.

Some one here said their taillights caused some noise once upon a time.

Members online

Back