1996 lincoln Mark VIII-Vlcm module

sassishasta

New LVC Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me the location inside the engine compartment of the VLCM module? I have a short in my fuse box, at the position of my VLCM module.
I want to unplug it, so I can see if that fixes the problem. My new battery drains within 20 minutes..and tech says this is where it is happening. Want to check it out. But do not know the location of this part, to disconnect.

And you have a '96, just like mine:D If your VLCM is bad, have fun finding one. I had to replace mine a couple of years back. The '96 is the bastard child of the Mark VIII family. GEN 1 '93-'95 won't fit, and GEN2 '97-'98 won't fit. Only the '96 will fit the '96. It's got something to do with it being a GEN1 with the OBD-II computer. Anyway, check and see if your A/C compressor is staying on all the time. The VLCM controls the A/C clutch. On mine, it was not disengaging the clutch and it was draining my battery down. Plus the radiator fan stopped working. That little module can cause a world of hurt.

shasta: If it turns out it is bad, I'd be interested in it.

Thaywood... I has a spare. ;)

I paid a third of that.. ;)

Seriously, if anyone has a junk one, I'd be interested in it... For dissection purposes...

1996 Mark viii

Well thank you for that information, and will check out the a/c thing too..
just a relief to figure out where the dang thing was..
will let you know outcome...and from all I have been reading..know that the VCLM is a tough one..although is one on ebay..and lots here so it seems..hoping that what you are saying re: a/c might be issue...hate that it drains the battery..when the car runs so good.

What did you find? or did you just sledge it? :lol:

Nah. Just took it apart, looked at it, and then shot it a few times...:D

But this is what it looked like before it was obliterated.

VRCM.jpg

VRCM.jpg

hey thaywood is this a multi purpose relay module that also controls the fuel pump as well as the radiator fan. If so I would like to buy it.
mttsn42z

Yeah. That thing controls a lot of stuff. But that link is just an example of one that's on Ebay right now for sale. I actually paid a little more for mine, if I remember correctly. But if you can afford it, get it. It's always good to have a spare. Especially if you have a '96 model.:)

Interesting. Shame you blew it to bits, I'd like to see if they are repairable..

Bob, do you think you could repair one? I got 3 good ones and a bad one. I saved it because I too was going to take it apart and see if I could fix it. We fix early 90's Honda transmission control module circuit boards at work quite often. It just seems like I never take time to do it. PM me.

1996 Lincoln Mark VIII

ok, got the VCLM or whatever it was, installed it, and whoopie..no more dead battery, and no blown fuses..that was the problem.
We own a tow company, and we transported about 600 Cars for Cash for a local salvage yard, last year..we towed several 1996 Linc Mark VIII, and the motors were seized, due to the program, but the parts were for sale.
We got the VCLM for 50.00 bucks, and had to show them where it was at, to pull it. Thanks to you guys telling me where it was located in my car.
And FYI, we took the old one apart too, and it looks just like the one in that picture..ha ha..So car runs great..but because is the year it is, we are going to sell it..bought a 1997 Linc continental..paid 800 for it, and its clean. low mileage, been in an estate for 6 yrs..so will have to probably replace a bunch of stuff, but at least is not one year only.
again thanks everyone for the information..was really helpful.
;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back