1996 Lincoln Continental - free until Sept 14 2007, but not running

JohnG

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This car is located In Washington, DC.

It is a 1996 Lincoln Continental that will be heading to the junkyard next week. If you are interested in this car, please contact me within the next week (before September 14, 2007).

The car does not currently run. However, it did run fine until problems developed with various sensors (cam, crank), which I replaced, but something went wrong shortly thereafter with the fuel system (fuel pump, I believe). The engine is not siezed or anything like that, and the transmission was working fine before I parked it in my driveway more than two years ago. Also, the sun roof mechanism works, but the switch that activates it is broken. The dealer wanted too many $$$ at the time so I never replaced it.

The air suspension system developed a leak and will no longer sustain what it takes to raise the car to an acceptable height. I considered doing the spring conversion, but I have decided this is not a car I want to throw money at.

The car's body is in good shape as well as the interior (leather seats). I bought a manual for this car that I'll throw in the "deal." There might be some other small stuff that I bought for the car, but never got around to installing (wipers etc.). Since I'm not asking anything for this car, I will not take time to inventory what these things may comprise.

All free for anyone who wants it. If no one contacts me and picks it up by Friday, September 14, to the junkyard/crusher it goes.

You can reach me at jguay@rcn.com.

Thanks,

John

Some Pictures (driver's side was dark when taking pictures, but there is no damage - i.e., it looks as good as the passenger side):

P1010324.jpg

P1010325.jpg

P1010326.jpg

P1010327.jpg

P1010328.jpg

P1010329.jpg

P1010330.jpg

P1010331.jpg

P1010332.jpg

ugh.. why do you have to be so far from me!! I would snag it in a heartbeat if you were closer to Traverse City. There would be no way I can get transportation arranged that quickly for that distance.. :(

The deadline is self-imposed. This is necessary because it will be here for another two years if I don't set a date. :D However, if someone is truly interested, but cannot arrange for pick-up by the end of next week, I could wait an extra week or two.

As you can see in the photos, I have a true junker I am sending to the crusher this week. It is an old delta 88 I gave my daughter years ago. It was a good car that served many in the family. Somehow, it ended up back my driveway after she got another vehicle. :mad:

The reason I kept the Lincoln this long is that it was a great car when running and thought I might have the time to fix all the problems that happened within the span of about two months. I never did find the time nor the patience to learn the complex "space shuttle" systems of this car. The main factor for deciding to get rid of it was not wanting to deal with the air-suspension problems.

It may be possible to get it running and drive it (very carefully - it sits very close to the ground) if the fuel problem can be worked out. Someone with better knowledge of this car than I could probably figure it out quickly. One thing it did do often before we parked it was cut out while we were driving. This was dangerous, especially at 50+ mph. After waiting a while, it would run again (this happened after I changed out the crank and cam sensors).

I wouldn't be able to arrange to pick it up for at least a couple months.. no $ in the budget to pay for the gas to go out and haul it back.

Overall, it looks like a pretty sound car, with just a couple of the lincoln quirks to work out. someone will sure get a nice one! just wish it was me!

btw, I took my 91 from sitting on the ground, to full running order myself, it too was free, and over the course of 2 yrs have spent about 600 bucks in various parts for it. never all at once, but one failure at a time. My 91 sat for 2 1/2 years, before it was flat-bedded to my house. it was just driven to the spot it was in and parked, no prep work or anything done to it (other than the battery was pulled). I have had to put a water pump, ps pump, 2 of the 4 struts (I have the other 2 also!), brake lines and hoses rotted and replaced.. lots of little maintainance items.

Thermostat instructions for For DaReal:

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    265 KB · Views: 173
  • Doc2.doc
    165 KB · Views: 149
  • Doc3.doc
    200.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Doc4.doc
    359.5 KB · Views: 163
john ill take the car if still available,it might take me 2 weeks to get a carrier so i could come get it.

aristo1963, can I get a firm commitment on this? Today, I made arrangements for a wrecker, but can cancel if you really would be coming in about two weeks. Let me know as soon as possible.

John

If he doesn't want it I will come and look at it. I am local, I live in Manassas. If it is just the fuel pump I would just have it towed and swapped out locally.

aristo1963, can I get a firm commitment on this? Today, I made arrangements for a wrecker, but can cancel if you really would be coming in about two weeks. Let me know as soon as possible.

John

ill pm you my cell number call me tommorrow and we will hash out the details.

aristo1963, pm'ed you.

marked8, if aristo1963's pickup does not work out, I'll pm you. It may be the fuel pump, but I cant be sure. I got to the point of buying a fuel pressure tester, but I never found the time or inspiration to perform a simple test. Also bought an ODBII scanner, but the software needed for a full diagnostic test is expensive. These proprietary systems preclude your average Joe from easily tackling problems. It's a turn-off for me because I like to maintain my cars. Also, I don't know fuel injection systems well at all. My general auto knowledge stops with older cars, which I spent a good part of my youth learning and still use today with my vehicles (my wife drives our 69 skylark custom daily).

John

ok john truck is gassed and the trailer is hooked up.ill try and leave out of here at 6 am.

ok the conti now has a safe new home in north carolina.believe it or not it did fire off for a few seconds when we were trying to load it.as to loading it well lets just say im glad i brought my come along.John is a fine fellow and has a beautiful home,but there is no way i would live in that crazy driving, sorry road laid out city.
again John thanks,my wife loves it.the only reason i still have the keys is because im the one who must fix it lol.
john

Members online

Back