1995 Suspension Problem, Air lines leak at compressor

bnuttall

New LVC Member
Reaction score
The compressor runs and I hear a loud air leak. After a few minutes it shuts off and I get the error message. Of course, the bags aren't filling. There are two air lines coming out of the compressor. I did a bubble leak check and the air is coming from around the air line fittings at the compressor. There is an outer black tube and what appears to be an inner cream color tube at the fitting. I can slide the black tube back but I can't remove the inner cream tube. The leak appears to be right at the fitting connection. How do I remove the tube and/or fix the leak?
Thanks.

What may be the problem is the air lines are not seated in far enough or the o-rings in side are dry.

Try this. Push the round orange ring in and then pull the lines out. Spray them with silicon spray an push them back in. They will need to go in at least a half an inch.

make sure that the end of the actual line (white tube inside the black insulator) is perfectly straight, with a perfect 90% edge all the way around its ok to trim a little with a razorblade

Thanks guys. Just one quesition. When you say push the orange ring in and pull the tubes out, do you mean slide the orange ring over the compressor fittings and that should release the white tubes? The orange rings are currently off the fittings next to the black tubes. I tried to pull out the white tubes after sliding back the black tubes and orange ring away from the fittings but that didn't work. I was concerned I would destroy the white tubes if I pulled too hard.
Thanks again.

The orange rings are fixed to the dryer on the compressor, if you have removed them, then you probably need to replace the compressor/dryer assembly. Basically, you push in on the orange ring and then pull the airline out, if it doesn't come out, you might not have the ring pressed in far enough. Press it in as best you can and the air lines should come out.

That orange ring contains a lock that keeps the hose in the compressor. I have a leaking one in my 95 Mark VIII right now that I'm working on. Damn thing...

Waiting to hear back from Eddie.

The orange rings were already off the dryer fittings. It sounds like that could be part of the problem. Is it possible to get the tubes out and glue them back in instead? I don't plan to drive the car much longer. Or maybe some other cheap and easy fix? A new compressor sounds expensive.

Problem Solved - Many Thanks!

I ordered a dryer from Eddie and installed it in my Continental. The old one was damaged. It now works like a champ. $32 and I'm driving again. Many thanks to you all.
Just FYI - I had also posted the same issue on "lincoln forums" and after all this time and 98 viewings, not a single response. You guys are the best!
Thanks again.

Members online

Back