1995 Mark VIII Stereo Questions

SonOfThomp

LVC Member
Reaction score
1. Sometimes the unit won't turn on. Antenna goes up, but no lights, no sound.

2. What is in the enclosure under the package shelf--the amplifier? It has holes in the top, but I hear no sound coming from it. And how do you remove the clips or oddball screw thingies to access whatever-is-in-there?

3. Is there a plug-n-play head unit available that I can plug my iPhone into? Currently AM/FM cassette, don't think it's a JBL, as no logos are on it.

Many thanks!
SoT

1. Nothing to tell, internal unit problems maybe.
2. Yes, there is an amplifier under the shelf, also there is compass module (black box without any holes) and may be a cell phone module. The shelf can be accessed from the trunk, remove the decorate plastic from the deep, then there is a 90 degree rotating clip on the driver side of the shell.
3. Generally - no. But a little radiotech work - and it can be done.

Thanks for your reply.
I take it that replacing the head unit with a modern, aftermarket unit would entail rewiring, since everything from the stock unit goes to the amp before the speakers.
Also, I find the placement of the rear speakers to be troubling for anyone in the back seat!

Yes, you would need to either rewire everything or try on of those amp bypass harnesses to go with an aftermarket head unit.

I went the cheap way out, I have the CD changer (dealer add on, which adds some adapters and weird wiring), I converted the CD changer input to bluetooth. This has many down sides, mainly that I have to retain the CD changer. But in the end I have a factory appearing head unit, able to connect the audio via bluetooth, and I am happy. I have a bluetooth module that also can be the phone part of bluetooth, I don't really want that, but will wire it up and see if I want to keep it. I prefer to use a headset for calls, and not through the speakers and using a mic.

You could also convert the tape deck to an aux in, I still am not sure about how to build the dummy tape for that, but have some ideas to try out, including some of the tape deck adapters that have 1/8 stereo plugs that I USED to use to play audio from my phone.

These all have limitations, like no controls for the device, have to use the device, only as good as the OEM setup (like yours doesn't always turn on), and for me, every 10 to 20 hours the CD changer stops seeing a disc, and powering off the radio isn't enough to reset it, have to "power cycle" the car, turn it off (and open a door), then back on. That is why I want to convert the tape deck into aux in now. I would like to get rid of the CD changer.

An adaper can de used for handshaking aftermarket unit with the factory Amp. But the stock speakers are 20 years old and are not so good as they were recently. So the real way is rewireing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back