1995 Buick Century plug problem

The Rev

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok...this is about a 95 Buick Century with the 3.1...

I replaced the pcv valve, air/oil filter and oil, and did a seafoam treatment. Ran really well.

So we do the rest of it today, get 3 spark plugs (the front ones) but can't get any of the back three out, as a matter of fact it feels like they're all cross-threaded and aren't going to come out easily. I think I (may) have cracked, or chipped the porcelain on 2 of them. The car idles like piss. I also replaced all 6 wires, and still idles like crap. Real rough, kinda like a misfire, would this be because of the chipped plugs? It feels chipped and they wont move at all. I broke a t-handle wrench on it. My 15" extension is too long to get into the back, and I broke a swivel joint spark plug socket as well. Its my moms car, idk the risk of her driving it. We took it for a drive after and she said it feels a lot more powerful but it idles like crap, is this bad?

Also, I took off the air-tube and there was motor oil in the tube? And around the maf sensor too, wtf?

I'm no GM mechanic but I know the 3.1's are horrible about losing head gaskets, so watch out, I don't know how many miles are on it, but my mother has gone through 2 3.1's in the past 5 years.

Get the engine hot as hell and get some gloves, then try to get them plugs out, I am guessing they have been in a long time ?
How many miles does it have on it ?

Not being able to get the old plugs out is not a good sign... and having chipped the porcelain is definitely not good...

I'd say you really need to try and get those plugs out, but it sounds a bit risky...

I did plugs on a friends grand am with the quad 4 and I couldn't believe it but one plug came out like it was tight as hell the whole way. I ran a tap down the threads and the new plug went it great and as far as I know the car still runs great.

I tried it with the car cold, because people say with the mark thats the best way. It has 170k and the front 3 were pretty rusted, but I could muscle em out. The back 3 are probably original. I'll let that sob warm up and then try it. Is it possible that someone put them in (if they're not original) and cross threaded em the whole way down, making them miserable to get out?

I think it has iron heads. I doubt they are crossed threaded my bet is they been in there forever.
Heat should help but dont get burned.
60 deg info

Members online

No members online now.
Back