1994 STS Question

Mickey

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...possibly working on a deal for a 94 STS.

I have a few questions. I know the northstar motor is a good motor but how long do they generally last? I'm looking at my friend STS with 84K miles on it...I can probably get it for around $7K. I know the car has been taken care of.

Any major problems to look out for? How are the trannies?

Thanks for the input

Mickey said:
Hey guys...possibly working on a deal for a 94 STS.

I have a few questions. I know the northstar motor is a good motor but how long do they generally last? I'm looking at my friend STS with 84K miles on it...I can probably get it for around $7K. I know the car has been taken care of.

Any major problems to look out for? How are the trannies?

Thanks for the input

They generally last a very long time, just a few minor problems every once in a while (random tubes needing to be replaced, etc.)

And $7k is wayyyy too much unless the car is as upgraded as much as any of us enthusiats, 2, 3 thousand in aftermarket products on the car.

My 94 Seville STS had 30,000 miles last summer and I got it for $6k.

Howyadoin,

Well, if my experience is any indication, the motors last. With one condition; '93-'95 Sevilles will not last long if the coolant is not replaced every 2 years or 20,000 miles. Head problems, coolant leaks, etc. can result. '96 and up use Dexcool, so the interval is 100,000 miles.

I kept up with the maintenance on my '93 STS, and it was an absolute blast. Quickest sedan I've ever driven, that's for sure... The launches were a thing of beauty, the car scratching for grip as the front end comes up, a little torque steer but nothing you can't handle. My car had custom exhaust, so it sounded completely evil... (By "custom exhaust" I mean the baffles blew out of the muffler :) ). Handled well with z-rated rubber, got it up to 130 before the radar detector went off... Top end is 155 with z rubber from the factory, the sticker on the door will tell you. Other than those cars, they're 130 limited. IIRC.

So to make a long story short, as long as the car has had coolant maintenance, hasn't have overheating issues in the past, it's a good candidate for 200K. My '93 was at 150K and was ready to go 200 before I had an accident. I had to replace shift solenoids in my transmission, not an expensive job really. The only other stuff I did was belts, hoses, plugs, battery, oil changes, brakes and tires. That was over the course of 3 years and 70K (Bought it used with 80K). At the time I lost the car, I was getting ready to do a new rear taillight ($200 rebuilt), struts ($500) and alternator ($200). At 150K, that's not too bad, except the taillight, the cost of that one annoys me... :)

Looking at the prices on a couple websites, $7000 looks reasonable, mileage is below average. Any problems that you're aware of?

I got my '96 SLS with 120K for $3800, but I've had to put a little money into it. A/C compressor is on the way, replaced the blower motor, total of $300 in parts, and it has some scratches in the paint that need to be buffed out when the weather gets warmer, but the car was an absolute steal at $3800. I've put about 5K on it, and it feels ready for another 75.

-Rav

caddy.jpg

96sls_sm.JPG

do you have that 'play' feeling or feeling of 'looseness'? I looked at a 94 seville and decided against it after feeling that..

Howyadoin,

Looseness like a rattly feeling when going over bumps, or a bouncy front end? The rattle can be stabilizer bar bushings, a real easy and relatively inexpensive fix. The car bouncing up and down and bottoming out is the struts. That can be either ridiculous, as in $12-1500 for front electronic struts, or reasonable, as in $500 for passive, you do have to fool the ride control sensors with the passive struts, there's information available for that, and I think there might be aftermarket struts with the hardware to fool the sensors built in IIRC.

The SLS and Seville definitely have more body roll than the STS, softer tire sidewalls and smaller sway bars play a role there. There might be different strut programming in the BCM, but I'm not sure.

-Rav

I would look into that deal but for 7k thats a bit over priced. Got mine for 7.5k and it was a 97 with 90k miles and have had no problems with it besides the norm.

ive herd that the northstar engine could last up to 275 thousand miles.
P.s. 7k is to much.

Members online

Back