1991 Seville - Lots of questions, but not finding answers

genechaz

LVC Member
Reaction score
I purchazed a 1991 Seville in 09/04 off Ebay. It looked pretty good on the outside, but needed a lot of mechanical work, and the interior is in drespriate need of help. It has been in and out of the shop getting one thing after another fixed sine I bought it. Every once in a while the shop lets me have it for a few hours, then they make me give it back. Most of the major stuff has been done now (that I know of anyway), but now I need to work on the interior and misc stuff and details. I have some questions that I am hoping someone can help me with cause I can't seem to find the answers locally. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciated.

First question - I've been told that I need to replace the Body conrole module, but can not get a good answer on what it does. All I seem to be able to find out is that it controls all the stuff on the body. Any one here know what it does? I am getting a CCR error message on the information center and this is the only electrical or computerized thing that I know of that is not working. I think I have fixed or replaced just about everything else.

Second question - Where can I find interior parts for a 86 - 91 Seville? Other than carpet, mechanical, and a few general items, I have been unable to find the body or interior parts for my Seville. I need a front spoiler, and the Upper Upper interior door panels for all four doors. I can find interior parts and trim kits for every other Cadillac out their, but not the 86 - 91 Seville. Give me some help here, I'm getting desperate.

Third question - I hope to take some pictures of my Seville soon. So how do I upload them and where?
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=11#
LuvCad

you dude. No one is ignoring you. It's just that you have hard requests to fill. Try Nortstar performance upgrades in a search, and you'll see it's pi$$in in the wind, trying to find anything for our cars

OK I'll take a run at this.

1) The BCM controls all the body electronics. I may be a little off but I think it's stuff like, interior temp controls, audio stuff, level ride, SRS, heated mirrors, steering sensors, basically everything that's NOT directly connected to the engine or effect engine performance.

2) As far as parts, If you're looking stock stuff, Brasington Motors. http://www.gmotors.com/ Call them. They don't seem to like email much. If you're looking for aftermarket, dress up or mod stuff, you bought the wrong car. I have an 89 STS and have spent countless hours looking for things. It's a lost cause.

That's much better guys!

codewise; you didn't give me the answer I wanted, but ya did give me what I was looking for and needed. I'm not real found of 1 part doing so many things, but at least you confimed that it basically controls all the electrical things on the car. You also let me know that it does not control the engine. This tells me that after I replace the body control module, I still need to check into why the engine is running so rough. Which is more than I've been able to get out of the dealership or machanics around home. If I need to spend $234.00 for a part, and another $160 to install and program it, I at least want to know what it does.

I am looking for stock parts. But might be lucky if I find aftermarker ones. All I need for the outside is the front bumper, a few dings taken out, cleaned up and waxed. After I get it runing good, I'll need to find some interior parts to make the inside look good.

an01sts; Although it would have been really nice if someone had provided lots of links to places that would give me the parts I needed for free, I really wasn't expecting it. I was hoping for some helpful guidance and hints, and if nothing else, some responses that would help keep me amused. (Might as well have a little fun while where here, right?)

Unfortunately I have already found out how hard it is to find parts, and how expensive they are when you do find them. That's how I found this place, looking for parts! I've only had the car a couple of months and have already put several thousand into it, not counting the rebuilt transmission, and have a long way to go.

Anyway thanks for the input!

:C

In addition the BCM controls a few things I left out like ABS, traction control and all that but non the less it does NOT control any engine functions. It is my understanding that these don't require any programming but sometimes can be ordered with an updated EPROM (the chip with the software on it)

That Brasington Motors link I gave you is pretty useful. They are a huge Cadillac dealer in FL and they have everything I've ever asked for including most discontinued parts. The prices and service are excellant. Expect shipping to take a week or so.

As far as free parts, go to a scap yard and take one out. You can probably pick up a used one for $20 or $30. Make sure it comes out of the exact same car.

1991 seville sts

what up?....i own a 91 seville sts and i was just wonderin if u can give me a hand with some stuff............on my middle mirror i got like a little camera or something......could be a sensor.......and what`s that twilight delay for....i still can`t figure it out..............and how do u set the time and date on the center console?..........and one more thing.....how much did u buy ur cadi for?................thanxs

cadillac seville sts 91 side.jpg

cadillac seville sts 91.jpg

cadillac seville sts 91 back.jpg

Outkast, I'm one of those Lincoln people, so I don't know for sure about your Caddy, but I have a "camera thing" on my mirror and as best as I can figure it's for a radar detector.I pretty much just cruise along in my Continental though, so i haven't any use for it.

Silly goose,,, The thing on the mirror is a light sensor to automaticly tint the mirror when there is a car behind you at night. It's called Auto Chronographic mirror.

The twilight delay is how long the headlights stay on after you turn off the car.

To set the clock, there is a small button all the way on the right under the buttons of the DIC. Push it in with a pen and you'll be in the setting mode for the clock/date. Its says 'Clock/Date Set' right next to it.

Oh, and soon you will ask me how to reset the oil index counter. Hold in the 'Engine Data' and the 'Range' button for 5 or ten seconds. You'll see when it's set back to 100.

I paid $10,500 for mine in 94' or 95' I'm the second owner and the car had 72k on it at the time. Now has 205,000.

outkast22000 said:
what up?....i own a 91 seville sts and i was just wonderin if u can give me a hand with some stuff............on my middle mirror i got like a little camera or something......could be a sensor.......and what`s that twilight delay for....i still can`t figure it out..............and how do u set the time and date on the center console?..........and one more thing.....how much did u buy ur cadi for?................thanxs

thanxs..........i never seen dat little button before........i tried a bunch of stuff before like pushin some of those buttons and :q:q:q:q.........well thanxs really..........

another thing..........

i`ve heard dat 1991 seville sts 4.9l are rare cars, how did u know how many makes were for ur car.............is there a webpage where they tell u this or something?

Hey Gene: I have pounded the internet looking for performance upgrades shortly after the clock hit 50k. Now any f/u's are mine. The upside is that I can alter whatever I want as long as I stay emission leagle.

In my endless quest for performance upgrades, using various "Northstar Performance Upgrades," I found this board about 15 pages deep in yet another usless serach. Well that search wasn't so uleless because I found this board.

There is an air box mod that gave mine some performance gain, and it gave me a performance gain from off idle to redline. I cannot say how much it gave me, and how much it decreased my mileage, but I can say that it was a worthwhile modification, and the decrease in mileage isn't that drastic.

Bone yards may be your only choice. As to interior, I don't know how much interchange exists with the newer cars than yours, but lets say that the last generation STS/SLS interiors interchange, meaning that they are bolt in replacments. If so, you locate a mangled car with an interior you like, and install that interior. (Keep in mind that the electical systems in the seats may be an issue. I have no clue, so you have to do your homework. I'm sure that lots of people here can help you with this issue.)

This would be a fairly easy job, but something tells me that you better take a jar of vasiline with you when you go to the boneyard. Why do you think they call it a boneyard?

cool............

thanx for da webpage still...........u know other pages like dat?.........how much u think i can sell a 1991 seville sts with a 118,000,000km for.........and a 1989 deville with 220,000,000km for?...........sorry for all the questions but i still have more i think............

It looks like the 91 Seville STS is good for about $2800 at best and a 89' Sedan Deville is good for about $1200.

I don't know much about the 4.9 in the Seville but if the Deville is in good shape I would keep it.

The STS looks like someone took the imitation convertible top off it. I think that was part of the STS package. Also those wheels have to go :)

outkast22000 said:
thanx for da webpage still...........u know other pages like dat?.........how much u think i can sell a 1991 seville sts with a 118,000,000km for.........and a 1989 deville with 220,000,000km for?...........sorry for all the questions but i still have more i think............

yo....

i see...........well i was told opnly a couple of hundred sts like mine were made cause of the imitation roof............it`s like a special edition.......and da rim..............i personaly like them but i got enkei 17s for it still........i called cadillac and they wanted $1100(canadian)per rim.....hey they might be ugly but they worth more dan some suit up honda ................

The "camera thing" refrenced earlier...... Do you have something called Guide-Matic? I believe it is the sensor for that. The one for the mirror is just a little round dot, and that is whats controlled by those buttons. The twilight sentinel adjustment merely controls how long the lights stay on after you shut your car off at night, so the car lights up your driveway.

Pounding the internet

an01sts said:
Hey Gene: I have pounded the internet looking for performance upgrades shortly after the clock hit 50k. Now any f/u's are mine. The upside is that I can alter whatever I want as long as I stay emission leagle.

In my endless quest for performance upgrades, using various "Northstar Performance Upgrades," I found this board about 15 pages deep in yet another usless serach. Well that search wasn't so uleless because I found this board.

There is an air box mod that gave mine some performance gain, and it gave me a performance gain from off idle to redline. I cannot say how much it gave me, and how much it decreased my mileage, but I can say that it was a worthwhile modification, and the decrease in mileage isn't that drastic.

Bone yards may be your only choice. As to interior, I don't know how much interchange exists with the newer cars than yours, but lets say that the last generation STS/SLS interiors interchange, meaning that they are bolt in replacments. If so, you locate a mangled car with an interior you like, and install that interior. (Keep in mind that the electical systems in the seats may be an issue. I have no clue, so you have to do your homework. I'm sure that lots of people here can help you with this issue.)

This would be a fairly easy job, but something tells me that you better take a jar of vasiline with you when you go to the boneyard. Why do you think they call it a boneyard?

Pounding the internet and making phone calls tring to find those parts is why you do not see me in here very often. Like you, that is how I found this site.
I am just now getting the car running correctly, so I haven't had a chance to find out how it does with the normal OEM set up yet. Modifications will need to come sometime in the future, after I catch up with the cost of repares to get it working. But thanks for the input, I had thought of possibly interchanging interior parts, but haven't had the chance to investigate that yet. Hell, I haven't even got a clue how to start on that, YET. But I will learn before it's all said and done.

Boneyards? There is not a 86 - 91 Seville in any the the boneyards around here, lest not within 100 miles fomr where I am. Within 200 miles, there are a few, but none with any of the parts I need, that are in good shap anyway. So I will need to expand a little more. I like living in a small town, most of the time, but it does have it's disadvantages when it comes to finding parts, and good deals.

the ccr is the computer comand ride module, it adjusts the four struts to the type of terrain that you drive on. and about the interior part it would be better and cheaper if you reupholster it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back