1991 4.6 LTC Engine Problem

B

Borman

Hi everybody,

Got arising problems with my LTC 4.6 engine.

Just less than a year after heads rebuilding and 4 years after piston rings replaced.

Here is the picture:
1. Thrust and acceleration are great at all loads and speeds, engine does not miss, cranks and starts perfectly.
Oil and filter just replaced.
2. Some of the RH head's valve lifters/lash adjusters started ticking/tapping all the time (it all started couple weeks ago, sounds like couple of them, not all 8), on both cold and hot engine. LH head's lifters are performing just fine and are completely noiseless.
3. At the same time oil pressure is fine, same RH head timing chain tensioner does not discharge oil and tensioner systems never tick or knock.
4. When oil dipstick, oil filler cap or PCV valve removed, huge amount of crankcase smoke goes out and it NEVER stoppes smoking. It just smokes like a tail pipe. I've never seen such constant smoke out of cap or dipstick holes from my engine before.
5. Spark plugs are year old, but are in great condition and are not fouled.
No any oil fouling or other deterioration.
6. Road pavement under tail pipe smoke becomes black in few minutes when engine idles.
7. There are no any signs of coolant in the oil. No coolant leaks, loss or deterioration. Oil looks clean too.

I was going to replace RH valve lifters but I now suspect that they are fine and problem is somewhere else.

What could this all mean and what to look for?

Members online

No members online now.
Back