1989 Linclion Town Car

did you try to put the front tires on the back,

tighten the valve cover bolts, don't break them they are small so be gentle, just be sensitive and feel them stop, no more than a sugar bag or a little more of force, maybe two, go to a self car wash and wash off the accumulated oil, on the back of the exhaust manifolds, its like having a skillet with grease in it, hot, you can check the pcv valve withthe engine running, by pulling it out of the grommet and seeing if it has vacuum, get someone competent to look at the front end, caster, which is like the rake of a motrcycle front wheel or caster which is the top of the wheel tilted into the center of the car or out, will not make the wheel shake, nor will bad ball joints, does it shake with the brakes on or off, 9You could have a bubble in one tire) so manythings just find someone competent to help you. And don't kill the car. there is usually not too much wrong with these cars they are pretty well built, just a regular car nothing crazy. or just buy a better one of the same model. and switch what you want. check it out first, get some experience, and don't wreck stuff.

oh yeah the coffee can thing is for the vacuum accessories

mainly the heater and A/C system so that they work, smoothly and when the car is off for holding the vents closed or open I do not remember, the brake has its own reservoir, also the rear windows have been forced at one timeor another there is alittle gear in the motor assembly that needs to be replaced, you can get one out of another motor assembly, also you do not have airbags and to the guy who says 3 star, it has a 5 star rating all the way around, I got head oned at 60+ 60+=over 120 in a 76 town coupe, it buckled the roof and behind the driver door, I walked out had seat belt injuries, here, to these forms, the name is Tony. Well, I just got a few questions about my recently aquired 1989 Town Car. I've had the car for about 4 months now, its pretty nice, I like it alot. I never owned a Linclion before, I allways had Chryslers and Cadallacs, but, heck, I dont think I'm going back after having this car. Now, its not the newest of cars, you see- its a bit beat up on the outside. Its in dire need of a paint job, not so much on the car, but for some reason just on the trunk lid, the paint is comming off. I dont know why. But, anyway, my question (or questions, rather) are as follows:

1) I recently have been having problems with the power windnows. The back ones will go down, but then thell stick down, and when you hit the up button, the motor just worls and you acutlay have to pull them up. And my drivers side one is allways getting stuck. Is this somthing I can fix on my own, or do I have to take it to a mechanac?

2) I cant figure it out, but when Im on the highway, the car smells like burning. Like, a burning smell comes out of the engine, and if I open the hood, it smokes. Now, I figued out it was an oil leak, but like, the oil isnt hitting the ground. Its just disspearing, and I have to put in like, a quart every 4 days or so. So, does anyone know where this leak could be comming from? And is it gonna be expensive to fix?

3) And lastly, I'm just wondering this out of pure cirousoty- what is that coffie can thing attached to the engine for?

Thanks allot for your help, I apprecate it.

:dancefool[/QUOTE]

My 5.0 had the same leak when i bought it. The best advice i can give you is to change the pcv filter under the pcv valve in the back of the intake manifold. That alleviated my oil smell. The oil itself was coming from the valve cover gaskets and the seal around the distributor shaft.

The windows you can probably fix. Usually what goes wrong is there are three small plastic cylinders inside a gear that attatch it to a motor and they break apart. You can pull the motor apart and fix it yourself. But remember on the front there are a lot of moving parts and little room. You are gonna come out of there with sore arms, really greasy and lots of sitting and squatting on the ground.

The coffee can is a vacuum storeage canister so you dont loose air condition with you accelerate and vacuum pressure in the AC control system is neutralized.

Jamler3 said:
My Father had an '89 TC and thought it was the best car on the road...
Me and my 2 boys took a ride with Dad one day and it was the smoothest thing on the road... He knew it... We knew it... There was nobody cooler than us............!

Awesome Ride... One of the best Lincoln designs for the Town Car...

Jamler

Hey, you know what, I think so too. I'm only 20 years old and my TC is my first car that I personnaly own. i used to drive my parents Touareg and my dad' s67 caddillac deville. You are right, the 89 TC have the best ride of all.

Members online

Back