1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

88 Town Car

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, new to the world, my father was always a huge Lincoln lover. Anyhow, he has come down with a terminal lung disease, and his final (as he puts it) gift to me was his beloved 88 LTC. This car is impeccable mechanically speaking. I would seriously love to restore this beauty, which needs minimal parts in general, but im having a hard time finding those parts needed. I would appreciate anyone posting me websites for parts stores etc.... that would carry Lincoln parts as old as I need to restore this car. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, from both myself and my dying father. Also, im looking currently for a digital instrument cluster as its fuel gauge is inoperable.

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear abou your dad, check ebaymotors.com if you havent already.

88 Lincoln TC restoration

I truly appreciate the help, Ebay and I are best friends for a couple months now, so I have that covered. The Florida place is appreciated, unfortunately, they dont have all the items im looking for, so more help would be appreciated.

Cluster info

I would also love to know if a digital instrument cluster can be replaced by a normal, I believe analog is what its called cluster?

Welcome to LVC, good to have another Town Car owner!!! I'm getting a parts car soon (I just have to pick it up). If you let me know what you need, I may be able to help you out. I know the car has an analog cluster in it, but I'm not sure if it is interchangable with the digital. What color is it??? Post some pics of that beauty!!!

My TC

Actually if im not mistaken my TC is the same color as the small picture you have shown, a goldish brown. As soon as I get a camera up Ill get plenty of shots of this gorgeous vehicle for all to see. Heck, Ill even be able to get some shots of the Saturn im trying to sell to raise money to restore the true american dream, my Lincoln. God just driving this car once or twice now that I have the mechanical nature of it fixed is driving me crazy for full restoration. I LOVE MY TC. Parts im currently looking for right now include but are not limited too, two front fenders, driver side rear quarter panel, front speaker covers, wood grain for the area around the radio, digital dash cluster, hood ornament. Also possibly looking for new front seats. I may be just re-doing the entire interior to go with a custom job. I like to call her my Linc Linc, so im sure that will fit in the theme of her if anything custom gets done.

Darker with less I think, remember, Im a bit new to Lincolns. If I had to guess good for you though, I waould say from the pics of yours, ours are identical.

analog for digital insturments

I have an 85 signature with an early digital panel (read that buttons up the ying yang and annoying beeps when the engine is off) and I too am interested if they can be switched out for an analog panel and how hard is it?

I love the digital. The cluster for analog is different than digital, the analog has a light panel that accompanies it. It will involve a LOT of rewiring

Speaker covers

Yes those would be the ones. Im hitting up the junkyard on my next day off as well to do some searching. Thankyou for the panel offer Black. Thanks for the info Pepsi.

88 Linc Linc

Well tomorrow I go pick up my baby from the shop with its brand new from front to rear true dual Flowmaster exhaust. I cant wait for that sound HELL YEEAAAAHHH!!!!

Next on the list is to see if I can get the automatic overdrive to actually work, my tranny pulls fine in all the other gears, but doesnt shift into overdrive, anybody care to venture an experience or something on the subject?

When in Od gear does it go to 40mph then stop accelerating? Check the throttle plate, there are three connections there, one for cruise control, one for the gas pedal and one for the transmission cable. The transmission cable has a plastic grommet around it, see if that cable is disconnected or the grommet is gone.

No honestly Ive had the car up to 80 already. It doesnt shift into OD, anything after 40 is all 4th gear, just higher and higher RPM's as you get faster.

Thanks for that info. The guy working on my exhaust figured it out for me, hes a huge Ford/Lincoln person and found a broken bushing/grommet (just like Pepsi said it was) on the transmission link to the throttle plate that deals with that sort of thing and hes fixing it for me. He also thinks he can fix my gauge, so I may luck out and get the car perfect now.

The Jensen head unti, Kicker 5 1/4, 6X9 Jensen and Bazooka 100 watt tube in the rear work great.

The 8.5 inch Jensen roof DVD player is awesome too except for the engine noise when you try to feed it through the speakers.

The exhaust should be finished by tomorrow, with the tranny, and maybe the gas gauge, then after a bit of rubbing on her for cleanliness sake, Ill get a camera and upload some nice pics of her.

Tranny

Ok the grommit ended up being a no go, Im going to try to use some seafoam to see if it may just be dirty. Doubtful, so rebuild is probably in my future.

Figured I would update this because im getting messages on it. I replaced the trans with a high performance trans, shifts hard as hell, but does go into OD, and in the city im getting 20-22 MPG at 40MPH

How about a couple of pics? Email them to me if you aren't handy at posting and I'll post them for you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back