1727 Locke Collection

KD00LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Thought some of you might find this interesting. I was at the Library Company of Philadelphia today browsing some material for my capstone paper, and I was looking through a collection from 1727 of Locke's imported work. It was quite humbling. I felt like it was going to fall apart in my hands though, at least one of the volumes.

Is that available to the general public or did you have to make special arrangements to access it?

I've never been there, it sounds like it would be a fascinating place to visit. The LCP has an incredible history.

Calabrio- It's open to the public. They ask what type of research you're doing but apparently they have a thing for general inquiry I believe. You sign in the front desk with a photo I.D. and your basic information. The librarians in the reading room are quite helpful and have to access the books for you as they are very fragile. You fill out a call number slip with your name too for even more security. You place the books (depending on age) on a foam block formed to the book's design. No flash photography, only pictures for academic research and YOUR EYES ONLY. No pens. I'm pretty sure I made every mistake I could, but they were very nice.

Shag- It's basically still in its infancy. I decided (rather my professor) that I should take a different route than just comparing Locke to the founding fathers because it's been covered so much. I'm doing an intellectual history of the types of materials that were available, and from that I'm decided just how prevalent Locke was in literature in comparison to other authors. I originally thought he wasn't so popular, but there are only two other authors whose collections are bigger I believe. One was Pope. He *might* have been referenced the most, I have to check my secondary sources. I have an introduction due next week, 15 minute speech the week after, then on Apr. 20th my 25ish page draft is due. I'm freakin out!

Shag- It's basically still in its infancy. I decided (rather my professor) that I should take a different route than just comparing Locke to the founding fathers because it's been covered so much. I'm doing an intellectual history of the types of materials that were available, and from that I'm decided just how prevalent Locke was in literature in comparison to other authors. I originally thought he wasn't so popular, but there are only two other authors whose collections are bigger I believe. One was Pope. He *might* have been referenced the most, I have to check my secondary sources. I have an introduction due next week, 15 minute speech the week after, then on Apr. 20th my 25ish page draft is due. I'm freakin out!

Not sure how relevant it is to your study, but there was a study that looked at how often various authors/thinkers (including Locke) were referenced by the founding fathers in their writings. I will try and find more specifics on it (names of people who conducted the study, etc.) later.

It sounds like it will be an interesting paper. I would be interested in reading it when you are done. Good luck.

Not sure how relevant it is to your study, but there was a study that looked at how often various authors/thinkers (including Locke) were referenced by the founding fathers in their writings. I will try and find more specifics on it (names of people who conducted the study, etc.) later.

It sounds like it will be an interesting paper. I would be interested in reading it when you are done. Good luck.

That would be cool, but don't go killing yourself trying to find it. I'm still torn up about how to structure the paper. I definitely need to devote the better part of the weekend to at LEAST getting a rough outline together so I know what to incorporate.

Members online

No members online now.
Back