17" tire sizes

cpgoodman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to get some new tires and cant afford to buy rims. so the plan is to put some eibachs on and get some lower profile 17" tires. I currently have 225/60/17 on there now. is that the stock size and has anybody put a lower profile on there stock rims? pictures would be appreciated. thanks in advance for the input.

correct on the stock size. When I get new tires, I think I'm going 245/45/17...

first of it depends what tires your are planning to get if you get the michelins pilot mmx4 they are a whooping 250 each so if thats the case just get some rims with the tires fore that price, you can get some 18's for less than $1000

I got the BFGoodrich GeForce KDWS 245/45/ZR17
You still have a good amount of sidewall to protect the wheel and the sidewall is very stiff. Slighly harder ride, but well worth the performance increase. You can't quite spin them taking off in a straight line (on a stock 02 V8) and they corner well.
I also bought the Eibach's and am just waiting for a warm weekend to throw em in.
Dave

I think I'm going 245/45/17
Running that size on my rears. Got em free and I like the look. I'll snap a pic or two tomorrow and post them to show the minuscule difference between that and the stock size tire.

Stock size is 235/50.

miniscule is a good word too, less than half inch of width difference. but you do notice the difference. some tires have wider contact patches than others. I'll try to post some pics as well.
they look a little wider though and better than the good ole mastercrafts with that wavey design thing on the sidewall heh

17'' rims with a lower pro file tire that looks ugly man you should drop it and stay with the stock size until you get rims and then you gotta ride flats

We're talking about a .6" difference in overall diameter. That's just over a quarter inch less sidewall on each side. The only thing that looks different to me is the wheels appear bigger.

Now if we were talking about running 235/30s then I would agree with you.

Ok, pics of the size difference between 235/50 and 245/45 tires.

the 245/45 first
rearwheel.jpg

then the 235/50
frontwheel.jpg

wide view comparison
tiresside.jpg

Hardly an difference at all in the size. The 245 tire is 1cm wider than the 235, and about 1.5cm shorter in overall height.

tiressideR.jpg

One difference that does stand out in the pics, is the Rim Guard on the 245 tires. Not all tires have this. And the ones that don't will appear to baloon out some, like the 235s do in these pics.
sidewall.jpg

Cooper Zeon Sport

Just bought Cooper Zeon Sport 235/50R17. Had Michelin pilots hmxm on there before. So far its been a good tire. Good traction, quiet and can't go wrong for the money.

255/45/17's look the best. They fill out the well and give you a meaty look.

Attached pic for reference off my old 02

vbpgimage3.jpg

I thought about 255s but wasn't sure if they would fit. I didn't like any of the choices that I could find in that size either.

I have to replace my tires very soon so I will be painting my rims another color and dropping in 255/45/17 tires. Hope it looks good ;)

I got the BFGoodrich GeForce KDWS 245/45/ZR17
You still have a good amount of sidewall to protect the wheel and the sidewall is very stiff. Slighly harder ride, but well worth the performance increase. You can't quite spin them taking off in a straight line (on a stock 02 V8) and they corner well.
I also bought the Eibach's and am just waiting for a warm weekend to throw em in.
Dave
I have the Gforce KDWS 245/45/ZR17 and the Eibach springs. The car corners much better than before. The tires will only last about 20K due to the soft compound. I have a C.A.I. and 2.5" Magna Flow exhaust and can smoke the tires on a hard launch. May be thats why 20K miles

do 245/50/17 fit with no rubbing issue , i see that FONSITO has 255/45's but i think the 245/50 should be OK but im just wondering.

Members online

Back