17" Chrome Wheel Finish Failure

Empty Nest LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 LSE with factory chrome wheels. The chrome is peeling on all 4 wheels. The finish that is peeling is about 0.1" thick. Has anyone seen any failures like this? I do drive year round and we use allot of salt on the roads in winter but I would expect discoloration or even corrosion rather than this type of failure.
Any suggestions? I really like the look of these wheels and still love the car.

Get new ones.

All Lincoln chrome wheels do that. I had a set on my 95 LSC where the bead started rotting out and wouldn't hold air. Tried in vain to grind them down, but it didn't work. I then replaced them with the stock aluminum "snowflake" wheels. Not a problem since.

I know that NickT88LSC on here has a set of the 17" 5 spokes sitting around and his are starting to flake.

Only Ford/Lincoln. Use 75 cent chrome plating on a 40,000 dollar car. I'm just waiting on the day mine get all funky. :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard, BTW. :Beer

you have a couple options...

-Get a set of used wheels to replace them...
-Have those re-chromed (bend over!)...
-Have those powder coated...
-Get nice new summer wheels and keep those for winter (as is, or have em powder coated)

Your cheapest option would be to just have those powder coated some kind of neutral color (black, aluminum color, gray). You should be able to have them done for around $70/ea, they'll have to have the chrome chemically stripped. But a good powder-coat will be about the toughest finish you can put on a wheel. I had my factory wheels for my F-150 powder coated; stands up great to the Michigan winters!

Thanks for the advice, all. Since winter seems to = 6 months here, I have always hesitated on the winter wheels idea. And being one who like to get to the root of the problem, would like to complain to the manufacturer of these wheels. (I don't expect compensation on wheels that are already 5-1/2 years old).
Maybe it's time to accept the winter concept and think about the powder coat idea. The car being black looks so good with chrome wheels, I guess I'll be in the market for an aftermarket replacement and another 10 attempts to balance the Michelins on the new wheels.

If it takes ten trys to get a set of Michelins to balance you should send em back.

If you get after market chrome wheels, don't expect them to hold up any better than the factory wheels unless you dish out some big money for them. Like $750 - $1000 per wheel big. All chrome wheels will end up peeling at some point. The best way to avoid it is to keep them clean, and never use an acid based or corrosive wheel cleaner.

also never let them see salt...

most in the wheel industry say chrome wheels have a life expectancy of 5-8 years under the best conditions.

hence the SUMMER wheels/tires
CopyofDSCN1308.jpg

and the WINTER wheels/tires
DSCN1329.jpg

The balancing issue is a whole other story. Perhaps that's how my wheels were ruined. I even had Michelin verify the equipment used at my Lincoln dealer. Anyway, it turned out that the problem was covered by a TSB put out by Lincoln and a small spring had to be changed in the steering gear; At my cost. At that point, I didn't care.
Now I love the tires, but I have fallen out of love with those once beautiful wheels.
(I still like my dealer)
Cheers

hence the SUMMER wheels/tires
CopyofDSCN1308.jpg

I like those summer wheels; so many people just end up putting something on that is too busy, too much going on. Just simply overboard. Yours still look classy; not like some $120/wheel junk that was originally made for a 97 civic with vinyl lick and stick graphics.

Maybe in the spring I'll finally throw pics of my 03 up (with the summer wheels/tires).

Members online

No members online now.
Back