10k headaches later...

Screw-Rice

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've never had so many issues on such a "relatively" easy job. Now running Cobra brakes (13" front rotors, 11.65" rear, dual piston calipers), and 18" bullitts. Rear are 18x10 with 285/35/18, and 18x9 front with 265/35/18.

Day I brought it home:
IMG_0625.jpg

Today:
IMAG0143.gif

Nice job! What was the 10k headache thing all about? A explanation would be nice since you led with it in the thread title.

Looks great...I am very curious what you had to buy and I am very interested in this for my mark.

Must have missed my other topic a couple weeks ago, explained some things.

-Driver rear hub was seized to the halfshaft. Figure I can have the shop press it out, no biggie. Attempted to remove shaft...stuck in the diff. Opened up the diff (dumping all my year old Royal Purple), and found the damn clip on the end was the cause. Despite the fact, that it shouldn't have created any issue. Had to dismantle half off the gear assembly to get a pick in there. Many, many hours with a dental pick, finally got it off.

-Ran it down to the shop, and 10ton press couldn't budge the halfshaft out of the knuckle. So I had to order a new halfshaft, and source another knuckle.

-Get everything ready to bolt in. Stab new halfshaft in, then realize I need to remove it again to set the spider gears. Guess what, both are now stuck in the diff. Same cause, the clip on the end. So again, couple hours later, neither shaft has a clip now...and never will again.

-Destroyed many Dremel grinding bits, while clearancing everything. Get one rear completed. Fight the other side for about an hour. Then realize my relocation bracket is tweaked just enough to cause an alignment issue. Luckily the guy who makes them shipped a new one,via 3 day express.

Front didn't present too many issues. Had to modify the brakeline end to work. Did a short test drive (down the block and back). Seems I have to bleed the system again. Not a major issue, just an annoyance. Took me an hour the first time with a one person vacuum bleeder.

I know I am forgetting some of the other hangups, but those were the main causes.

What are you using for rear calipers? Looks good
Rears, are stock. Just painted, so they don't look like ass. :lol:

Really considering a Brembo or Wilwood setup this coming winter (all four corners).

In two weeks, I will be rebuilding the front suspension, 1 1/4 sway bars (front and rear), and Saturn5's subframe connectors and IRS brace.

Tried to plan the entire thing before I started buying parts. Had an image in my head of exactly how I wanted it to look. Think I nailed it, sans a couple minor details (like having to lower it a little).

I have been driving my truck so long, that I kept thinking the suspension was all jacked up. Have been so used to being up high, that it was like I was sitting on the ground. Doesn't help, that every vehicle on the street at the moment, are trucks. :lol:

Looks as if you used to have window vent visors on the Tahoe or Suburban at one time and the P/S came off and took the paint with it.

Was a hell of a visor, cause it took ALL the paint. :lol:

Belongs to my neighbor. He is an auto body guy. Decided he wanted to paint it, so he stripped it down, and primered it. All that is left is paint, not a single dent left on the body. Also it was stock in my before pic, the after, it has 22's, and a 2" lift.

Rears, are stock. Just painted, so they don't look like ass. :lol:

Really considering a Brembo or Wilwood setup this coming winter (all four corners).

In two weeks, I will be rebuilding the front suspension, 1 1/4 sway bars (front and rear), and Saturn5's subframe connectors and IRS brace.

I gotta paint my rear calipers and locate some cobra brakes for the front

work I can do...I'm curious what parts I need to start acquiring...? thanks i searched but couldnt find a specific thread about a cobra hub swap. i know its common just not sure what i need....thanks again

I was expecting something bad when I read 35 aspect ratio, but with it lowered it manages to pull it off. Not bad.

Members online

Back