100LL Aviation Fuel

238LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have any expierience using 100LL (Low Lead) aviation fuel. Before I go any further I'll explain why I am thinking of using this. My motor in my Thunderbird is just over 11:1 compression ratio. It has a somewhat safe tune on it and has always ran well with 91 octane fuel (I put 93 in it when I'm out of town but 91 was it for where I live). Anyways, 91 octane is no longer available here, 90 is all I can get. With the temps being consistantly in the 100's I am concerned about detonation. It has never pinged before but it isnt a DD and I've never driven it on 90 octane. I do have 100LL aviation fuel available to me. I was thinking of running a mix of about 25% 100LL and 75% 90 octane pump gas. I have been doing some research on the 100LL and I did find that it WILL ruin your cats, but mine were removed and tuned out years ago. Some say it MAY caused your 02 sensors to fail prematurely but I couldnt really find out for sure, and the ones who said this was true seemed to be speaking about running 100 % 100LL which I think wouldnt be necessary for me. What do you guys think? Would I be safe running this? I would like the extra insurance against detonation but I dont want to harm something else from the lead. Let me know what you think.

I would not put 100LL in my car, only my Bonanza. 100LL has lead in it and that can't be good for a car designed to run unleaded fuel.

yeah. catalytic converters and o2 sensors. it won't end well.
but 11:1 isn't massive compression. with a good tune, 91 octane really shouldn't give you any problems.
the LS has a compression ratio of 10.75:1 and runs on 91 octane. many people even use 89.
but its all in the tune.

I would not put 100LL in my car, only my Bonanza. 100LL has lead in it and that can't be good for a car designed to run unleaded fuel.

Do you really have a beechcraft??

Lead will cause problems with the O2s because it will coat them, and prevent them from working correctly. This is also how it ruins cats. You'd do better by adding a little octane booster during the summer months if this is a concern for you. If you have any stations that sell E85, you can do your 75 percent 90 octane and 25 percent E85 for the same effect.

Back in the early 90s I used to run it in my Turbo Buick, as my grandfather was a pilot and I had access to it. Changed a lot of 02 sensors and cats back then.

Visit VP Racing Fuels' website. They have everything from the best all-out leaded race fuels (C16 and the like) to some really great, high-octane unleaded stuff too. Give 'em a call and they can set you up with a local dealer who will have everything from 5-gal cans and up.

Mix some of VP's high-octane unleaded with 1/2 or 3/4 tank of the best pump gas you can get and it will do the trick.

Last edited:
Well I ended up going with 5gal of 100LL and filled up the other 12 gal with 90 octane pump. Seems to be running well so far!

Well I ended up going with 5gal of 100LL and filled up the other 12 gal with 90 octane pump. Seems to be running well so far!

If I remember correctly 100LL is dyed blue and smells kinda sweet.

I'm waiting for someone to convert an LS to run off diesel.

I'd just find an octane booster that is really going to give you 1-2 points and call it a day. Leaded will just cause problems. Plus how much is it per gallon? Might not be that much of a difference between it and the booster.

I'm waiting for someone to convert an LS to run off diesel.

If GM ever comes out with their 4.5L Duramax diesel that they developed before they went under, you may very well see one. The 4.5L Duramax has the same external dimensions as a standard small block Chevy.

If GM ever comes out with their 4.5L Duramax diesel that they developed before they went under, you may very well see one. The 4.5L Duramax has the same external dimensions as a standard small block Chevy.

I think it's because it would defeat the purpose of hybrids and cost them sales. In Europe the 300 is offered with a 3.0 liter Mercedes diesel that averages 29 mpg combined. Over 30 on the highway.

possibly. i think GM is getting a lot of government money for their electric cars as well.

I'd sure like to see a Power stroke LS!!!

you knows its bad when the cloud coming out of the tailpipe is darker than the cloud coming off of the tires.

Mericaaaa!

Octane booster is scam. If you fill up with 89 and add OB that is good for say "4 points", you will end up with 89.4 octane not 93.

I usually refer to this when looking for an octane booster that works:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

Disclaimer: Not for the faint of heart, may cause delusions of being a mad scientist, and completely grenade your engine :D

On a side note, I would just run the 90-octane you can get and try not to smash the pedal too much.

Members online

No members online now.
Back