100K Maintenance

ketyokeinnor

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My 94 conti is lunging towards the 100K club, and I was wondering what should be done as far as maintenance/replacing things goes.

My plans now are
-Fuel Filter
-Plug wires
-Distributor cap + rotor(as far as I know its the original in there)
-Plugs (just changed em at 93K, but their cheap, and while i got the wires out why not)
-Trans flush this summer
-Replace all my PS Fluid(replaced pump in nov, but it still whines)
-Oil/filter 100,200 is 3000mi anyway

Anything else i'm missing?
Coolant flush maybe?

I would do a coolant flush just to make sure. cooling system failures or poor maintainance of it are a prime contributor to head gasket failure.

The IAC soleniod needs to be cleaned/replaced and perhaps the gasket replaced. Mine was not ever cleaned and I ended up buying a replacement from Ford. No more 1506 code and smooth idle has returned. I paid $229CN for the part and 30 minutes to change.
Regards,
Brad

the IAC's on 88-94's usually can't be cleaned, but only replaced. best part is, they are fairly inexpensive, and real easy to do. even better part is, they rarely are a problem on the 3.8's.

but, it is cheap insurance. make sure you get the one for YOUR specific application, as I tried to put one from a 90 3.8 conti into an 92 3.8 cougar. direct bolt up and proper fit for harness.. guess what, it was calibrated differently at the factory. There is a set screw in the end of them that is sealed over thats used during manufacturing to adjust them. they were set differently. Old one went back onto the cougar. :)

iacxv1.jpg

The IAC is this guy right? On top of the TB.
Alao kinda off topic, Is that red capped port by the compressor the low pressure AC? I need a recharge and wasn't sure. Also, is my 94 R12 or R134?

that would be the IAC.

usually red capped ports in the AC are the high pressure port. your looking for a blue port if I recall correctly. I believe its near firewall/dryer.

there should be a label somewhere underhood saying how much refridgerant it takes, and what kind. but they tend to fade sometimes, or 'go away'

I dont know if its r12 or r134 stock. my 91 is r12, my 92 cougar was converted to 134, and my 94 Jimmy was 12. although, my 91 plymouth laser I had was 134.. that is the time period that the makers were switching the systems over to 134, and some took longer to convert than others.

the ports are different sizes on r12 and r134, so you cant mix it up. the 134 ports are larger (at least the quick connect ports are).

I dont know about your area, but in mine, you can't just take a car (either 12 or 134) to a shop and get a fillup anymore. they are REQUIRED to look for leaks and fix them first. if you have a 134 system, at least you can still get the stuff to top em off yourself at the auto stores. your S.O.L. around here looking for r12 stuff.

I almost bought a top off kit at walmart, but they had both r12 and r134 and i wasn't sure which i needed.

wally world had r12???

considering its pretty hard to buy in the US anymore, I would be surprised if they were actually selling it. Maybe they had a fill kit for r12, but no refridgerant.

Since both the fittings on the car, and the fittings for the 12 oz cans are different, you would need two different sets of hose(s)/gauge(s).

yep, they had a 12 kit, 2 cans and a hose/gauge, and just cans(not as many as the 134 but still some). They're really lax about things like that 'round here.
pollution from R12 is the least of our worries, i live next to an orange river(no, literally, almost rust colored). its PA, if you get far enough off the highway i'll bet you can find service stations with leaded gas. On the other hand, if you get pulled over and have those led washer fluid nozzles, you get a hefty fine. The cops here seem to be "racist" towards the import tuner crowd. I've been pulled over with friends for street glow, fart cans but never in my buddy's 85 chevy truck with a 454 only headers and glass packs.

well, damn, I know I need r12 for my 91.. its still original, and a bit low (wouldnt you be a bit low after 17 years?). But, of course you cannot find R12 in the small cans anywhere. you can get r12 in the big (like 20 or 30 lb) can, but its damn more than I need, takes a different kind of fitting than the little cans (professional hose/gauge set has the right fitting), and a think they ask for proof of a license to work with it.

ya see, it supposed to be outlawed in all of the U.S. for sale to the general public. Thats why you can only find the bulk qty's, they have it avail for the service people.

I found the low pressure AC fitting under that black cover near the windshield. I also found 2 stickers stating that the AC system has that dye in case of leaks, with dates and what i believe to be pressures written on them. Is there and way to Tell from the fittings(size shape etc.) if i have R12 or R134?

I beleive that after 1991 all cars have r134 freon. It should state which kind you have on the sticker under the hood.

I recently purchased a Red Tek a/c kit, but the hose connector did not fit my car, so I returned it. The connector on my car is bigger. Off to the dealer I go .... poopie ....

Regards,
Brad
1997 continental

I thought the change was in 94, which is why i'm not sure. I wasn't sure whether it was cars after 94 or starting in the 94 model year.

All the stickers have written on them (in very faded marker) is a date on each, the number 225 on both, and on one i can read what appears to be the name of a shop or mechanic. Starts with S and ends with k.

found this

"
What AC refrigerant 'freon' 'R134a' is required in 1994 through 2007 Ford Explorer?

A 1994 and later Ford Explorer will have a factory, refrigerant (R134a) 134a system. In mid 1992 all vehicles produced for delivery in the United States were required under Federal law to have this type of system. Occassionally, but rarely, one will find a late 1992 or early 1993 system that still has refrigerant (R12) 12 fittings. But this is the exception rather than the rule and it is unheard of (virtually) for anything later than 1993 to have anything other than an R134a ayatem. Of course, it is easy to determine which system your Explorer has by checking the service fittings (the place where refrigerant service manifold guages hook up). Although as of last count there were over seventy (that's right!) different refrigerants on the market (all requiring [technically by law] their own exclusively distinct service fittings) there are only two refrigerants that (a) have ever been used by ALL (U.S.) automobile manufacturers and (b) have ever been approved by BOTH the EPA and all (U.S.) automobile manufacturers (concurrently). These are R12 and R134a. If the service fittings on your vehicle are 1/4 inch, male flare fittings, you have an R12 system. If the fittings on your vehicle have no threads and resemble the type of fitting used on modern day air compressor (an air 'chuck' type fitting) then you have an R134a fitting. If you have 'air chuck' type fittings attached over 1/4 inch male flare fittings, you have a system that has been converted from R12 to R134a (keep in mind that the specially designated fittings for some alternative refrigerants bear similar resemblance to R134a fittings, but R134a guages will not attach to them)."

You might have one of those alternative refrigerants, or an R134 conversion.

I know for fact that my 91 came from the factory with R12, as thats what it still has.

Also, the statement of 92 and later requiring r134.. not entirely true. my 94 jimmy was bone stock with r12 from the factory. I think any NEW designs starting in 92 required r134, and after 94 ALL must be r134. there was a period of time for change over allowed. it wasn't a 'you must change NOW' situation.

Also, my 92 plymouth that I had was r12.

Members online

No members online now.
Back