100 octane

ArabianNight

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I usually run 100 octane in my gixxer so was wondering would it be safe to run it in my V8 LS occasionally to maybe clean out the fuel system and whatever other components in the engine or would I be doing harm by running that high of an octane. Also ive noticed a lot of gas stations selling the 91 ethonal free gas read thats good for smaller engines but is there a significant benifit to running that in a reg vehicle

I'm pretty sure higher octane does not mean it is going to clean your engine. Octane rating is a term that tells how resistant the fuel is to detonation during compression.

yes that is correct... they used to use lead to do this.

Typically racing fuel will have added detergents and is more "pure" so speak so it may help clean some junk out slightly. It may not burn as well though as it will ignite later in the process which may leave unburnt fuel making the situation worse...

yes that is correct... they used to use lead to do this.

Typically racing fuel will have added detergents and is more "pure" so speak so it may help clean some junk out slightly.
Where did you get this idea?

[/QUOTE]It may not burn as well though as it will ignite later in the process which may leave unburnt fuel making the situation worse...[/QUOTE] It will burn but it is a hotter flame and may burn a valve.

Get a bottle of Techron and run it through every oil change.

Also I've noticed a lot of gas stations selling the 91 ethanol free gas read that's good for smaller engines but is there a significant benefit to running that in a reg vehicle

Yes, non-ethanol gas is much, much better for your engine AND fuel system. Ethanol is a type of alcohol which will destroy your fuel system over time.

If you feel like you need to clean out the fuel system and such, then use some Techron. Pour it in with half a tank of gas and use it down to 1/4 tank or less before refilling.
http://www.amazon.com/Chevron-65740-Techron-Concentrate-Cleaner/dp/B00092893E

Most of the time this is not needed because most gasoline has pretty good detergents in it anyway. I think that Chevron is slightly better, so I try to get gas there when I can. Techron is one of the few cleaners that seem to actually work and it also seems to be pretty harmless. Just ignore the instructions about using it every 3K miles (shouldn't need it that often).

Yes, non-ethanol gas is much, much better for your engine AND fuel system. Ethanol is a type of alcohol which will destroy your fuel system over time.

Only if it mixes with a little water, and what are the odds of that?

Somewhere around 100% actually.

Members online

Back