1 hard start?

KevinACrider

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
First let me start off by saying I had the typical coil #4 go bad but I didn't replace it I just switched it with coil #1 and it's been fine since.

So... 2 days ago we had a bad snow/ice storm so I went out to move my car so the plow could plow out my parking spot. Car starts up fine, I back it to the other side of the parking lot and come back in. The following day, which is now yesterday, the wife and I go out to run some errands and the car will not start. It just cranks for a little while, like maybe 3 seconds until I stop it. So we take a different car and I forget about it. Today, I go to run more errands and I figure I'll try to start it up before hopping in a different car. I crank it and it just cranks. I come inside, read LVC and see mention of a hard start and I think 'well I'll go try cranking it for 10 - 15 seconds and see how it goes'. So I got outside, crank it for about 7 or 8 seconds I suppose and it fires up. It almost wants to die immediately but it hangs in there. I give her some gas, do some laps around the apartment complex and then off on my errands I go. After that initial hard start, the car has been starting just fine.

New coils, plugs and wires ought to do her or is this something unrelated?

I have to crank mine 3 or 4 times every now and then to get it going. But mine usually does it when its warm.

Maybe you got some water in the gas line that froze? A new fuel filter couldn't hurt if it hasn't been replaced recently. Plugs don't need to be replaced until about 100k miles. And as long as the coils aren't acting up I wouldn't worry about them.

Oh, and the LS doesn't have plug wires. ;)

Did the car puff out any black smoke when it finally started? If so your car probly has the same problem as mine. There is a TSB from ford for the ls stating hard starts due to a fuel rich condition. most likly a sticking injector. My car has been doing it more and more latly. i just need to find out what injector it is and replace it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back