'06 V8 LS Question

jgfish97

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Will installing the K&N Typhoon Intake void the warranty on my car? I guess I should have asked before I bought it... Also, after installing the intake, it sounds great but the reaction time from me giving it gas and actually going is slow. I have to pretty much floor it and then it knocks me back in my seat and I'm off. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks.

jgfish97 said:
Just a quick question. Will installing the K&N Typhoon Intake void the warranty on my car? I guess I should have asked before I bought it... Also, after installing the intake, it sounds great but the reaction time from me giving it gas and actually going is slow. I have to pretty much floor it and then it knocks me back in my seat and I'm off. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks.

No, it will not void the warranty. There are laws against this.

On the reaction time, did you disconnect the battery when you installed the Typhoon? If so, you've got to let the engine computers re-learn the intake and valve trim settings. The procedure for this is set out in the manual at page 283, although if you do not follow the procedure, the new settings will be re-learned but it will take longer.

Please post pictures of your installation.

ToddG said:
No, it will not void the warranty. There are laws against this.

Be very careful here with your advise. You do not completely understand Magnussen/Moss. Let's put it this way...if Ford believes any part you put on the car contributed to a failure, they have the right to deny coverage. At that point, you must turn to the manufacturer of the part for warranty. They cannot, however, turn down coverage for something like the radio because of a CAI kit...unless you shorted some wires or something dumb like that. Then you've got the "catch all" factor from the manufacturer. They can basically say that whatever part you put on the car increased the performance level above what they built and delivered. Since it is no longer operating with their calibration, they are no longer required to warranty it.

Guys, I've seen so much of this with our Cobras you can't believe it. I know how Ford looks at this. You just need to be careful. A call to the service manager of your servicing dealer would not be a bad idea to get his thoughts.

On the other hand, Lincoln isn't used to seeing this. And any dealer that would deny any coverage from a CAI is just being an ass.

just keep your stock intake handy and in the trunk. if you ever have problems and need the car taken into the dealer you can switch back. by the way what is "valve trim"?

My stealership told me that if the part directly contributed to the failure of a component, for example, the MAF sensor, then it would void the warranty for that part, not the whole vehicle. The point of the stealership is to make money, they will do whatever they can to do so.

jgfish97 said:
Throttle Tip in Response with the throttle by wire on the 03 and NEW Ls's stinks. There is a deliberate reduction in Torque by the engine computer.

It may get a bit better if you let the compouter relearn (disconnect battery for 20 minutes). It will learn how you drive. If you drive like a granny it will act like a granny. Drive it like you hate it and the coputer will become more agressive.

The ultimate solution to this whole problem is the SCT Flasher...

My experience is that the throttle response on the '06 is much better than the '03 (I've owned both) due to CPU programming upgrades and this intake will not void your warranty unless you installed it incorrectly and don't clean the filter properly or regularly. The only part you could damage is the MAF sensor, so handle it with care when making the swap and when cleaning your filter. Most of the time, damage to the MAF is caused by using too much oil on the filter during the cleaning process. A very small amount of filter oil goes a long way. Nothing will kill a MAF faster than having it covered with oil.

The only other problem you may run into down the road is Smog Certification. This intake is not CARB certified. So, depending on what state you like in, keep your stock intake in a box somewhere and reinstall it on the car when it's time for you to go in for a smog check. That's what we have to do here in California.

Other than that, it's a great CAI system. I have it on my 2006 and we love it.

KNCAI.jpg

Kelleyo said:
Throttle Tip in Response with the throttle by wire on the 03 and NEW Ls's stinks. There is a deliberate reduction in Torque by the engine computer.

It may get a bit better if you let the compouter relearn (disconnect battery for 20 minutes). It will learn how you drive. If you drive like a granny it will act like a granny. Drive it like you hate it and the coputer will become more agressive.

The ultimate solution to this whole problem is the SCT Flasher...
Must use spellcheck, must use spellcheck,,,

I love my Typhoon also...
kandn.jpg

Look what it replaced!!!
oldintake.jpg

T_Man said:
My experience is that the throttle response on the '06 is much better than the '03 (I've owned both) due to CPU programming upgrades...

Can anyone confirm that this is true? I have not heard of any CPU programming differences between he '03 - '06 cars.

Dave Kegel

A question for those with that system. Do they make the engine sound like an old carburated 350? I tinkered around by just removing the snorkel thing off of the front stock airbox and i could tell a big difference in sound which wasnt at all pleasant. Sound way to louded and non-Lincoln, more Camaro.

beaups said:
did u mean camurrro?
I dont know what a camurrro is? And if its a joke then it went right over my head. I just thought that a stock intake with just the snorkel thing removed sounded way too loud and aweful. If the other intakes sound anywhere near that then its not a sound that i want. A little junky for my taste.

a camurro as we called it was the real redneck variant of the camaro (the camaro actually is rare). camurros were usually found with crooked screw-on exhaust pipes, 3 brands of tires, and 8 ball shifters....

Fla02LS said:
A question for those with that system. Do they make the engine sound like an old carburated 350? I tinkered around by just removing the snorkel thing off of the front stock airbox and i could tell a big difference in sound which wasnt at all pleasant. Sound way to louded and non-Lincoln, more Camaro.
Let's just say the intake improves the sound of this car as much as the Magnaflow exhaust... :D

beaups said:
a camurro as we called it was the real redneck variant of the camaro (the camaro actually is rare). camurros were usually found with crooked screw-on exhaust pipes, 3 brands of tires, and 8 ball shifters....
Well than thats exactly what it sounded like which is not what i want my Lincoln to sound like.

Thanks guys for the responses. I will post some pictures once I have time to take them. My car looks like T_Man's without the exhaust. But it does sound great. The next thing will either be the SCT Flasher or the exhaust. From what I've read, just buying some Magnaflow mufflers and getting some sweet tips will be the best thing to do since there is not exhaust for the '06. Am I correct?

At this time, there is no exhaust, but MagnaFlow is reportedly very close to releasing one for the '03-'06 LSes (at least for the V8s).

Members online

No members online now.
Back