06 LS Won't shift out of park

JamesB4115

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I recently replaced my radiator and once I got it fixed, I had to jump my car and behold... it would not shift out of park and no brake lights. Code reader came back as brake pedal switch.. replaced it twice! I made sure to properly set the switch to the pedal and it should work but no luck.. checked all braking fuses and they all work. Now no codes come back and idk where to go from here.

Parking brake light is on, ABS, and trackcontrol. Not sure why theyre on but i have a feeling that its part of the problem.

No codes are coming back because you are not using a code reader that can pull the ABS codes as well as the codes from the parking brake and other modules.
You probably have a data bus problem somewhere and that is keeping the modules from communicating with each other. Do the turn signals and hazard lights work in the rear? If not, then it's almost certainly the data bus. Otherwise, it could be the switch or the wiring. Did you use new brake light switches? Where you careful to install them without pressing them in before hand? They are a one time adjust switch, and if done wrong the switch is ruined.
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

To get out of park, turn the key to unlock (first click, everything stays off) and shift out of park and into neutral. Now you can turn the key to start. If you shift back into park, it will stay there till you repeat the above.

Yes I have turn signals and hazard lights. And the button on the brake pedal switch was not pressed. I made sure not to press the brake down before installing it and it seems to function properly. But nothing.

The manual says to press down the brake pedal before installin, thats what I did with the first switch. On the 2nd, I just adjusted it without pressing down the brake pedal. Both switches did not work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back