06 LS Idle stays high when I first start it.

Buckie

LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what might cause this?I tried finding threads that might relate to it but nothing came up. When I first crank my car its staying at high idle to warm up but it doesnt go back to normal after a few seconds. I have to shut it off and crank it again for it to idle down like its supposed to. Its done this on 3 seperate occasions.

It's unlikely, but maybe your throttle plate is sticking. See if it moves freely by hand.
How long are you giving it to come down. It can take a minute or so (I don't think mine every took over 30 seconds, but it doesn't get cold here). If it is really cold, it can take a while. Also note that it is perfectly okay to shift into gear and drive off while at high idle.

@joegr il check the throttle plate this evening and see if thats it. Your right it usually only takes about 30 seconds or less to come back down but mines not coming doen when it does it. As hot as it is here in Bama right now i wouldnt think it should be staying idled up. The reason it worried me was i was leaving work and backed up, when i hit drive it rolled the tires over pretty good in our gravel parking lot.

I appreciate all the info you guys have shared on here its helped me out tremendously. If it wasnt for yalls wealth of information I wouldnt have had a clue about the common problems with my lincoln.

Last edited:
@joegr well I guess whatever was making my car idle high showed itself today. My LS went into ETC Failsafe mode going down the road. Luckily I was on a hill and close enough to home i coasted about 250 yards and got turned into my driveway. Its showing codes p2104,p2111 and p2112. Found alot of info on here related to this very problem except my engine isnt misfiring. I have noticed a little bit of coolant loss from the degas bottle also.

Last edited:
Well after doing alot of thread reading and seeing what you guys recommended I bought some plugs and cops and some maf cleaner to try and remedy the problem. Im gonna install this evening and hope for the best. If that dont fix it my next step is to remove the throttle body and see if any of those plastic gear teeth are missing or wore slap out causing the throttle actuator code to show up. Once again thank you fellas for sharing what you know bout these cars...

Well if anyone is still reading this thread, the new cops n plugs didnt help. I almost went and bought a new $700 throttlebody but I like to try to fix things myself so I took the throttlebody off and took it apart. The gear teeth were good, even the open n close spring was in good shape. But after i had taken it off the car it had become really hard to move the throttle plate by hand, it had moved freely while on the car. Anyway it was hard to move until i removed the electric motor, then it moved like it was supposed to. So i took the four screws out of the back of the motor plate and removed the metal housing of the motor and there it was...Theres 2 magnets that are glued to the metal housing that keep the motor from getting out of balance. One of the magnets had come unglued and was causing the motor to wobble and put friction on the motor causing it to turn slower than its supposed to. When it wobbles it throws everything out of sequence and causes the car to go into fail safe mode causing codes p2104 p2111 and p2112. I fixed it for free by using a electric motor housing off of a 2006 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 V-6 in it. Seems Ford used alot of the same parts on different vehicles. My LS runs great now no fail safe, no $700 spent on a new throttle body. I really hate that these cars have had so many problems I love the old car and I aint ready to get rid of it just yet.

Well if anyone is still reading this thread, the new cops n plugs didnt help. I almost went and bought a new $700 throttlebody but I like to try to fix things myself so I took the throttlebody off and took it apart. The gear teeth were good, even the open n close spring was in good shape. But after i had taken it off the car it had become really hard to move the throttle plate by hand, it had moved freely while on the car. Anyway it was hard to move until i removed the electric motor, then it moved like it was supposed to. So i took the four screws out of the back of the motor plate and removed the metal housing of the motor and there it was...Theres 2 magnets that are glued to the metal housing that keep the motor from getting out of balance. One of the magnets had come unglued and was causing the motor to wobble and put friction on the motor causing it to turn slower than its supposed to. When it wobbles it throws everything out of sequence and causes the car to go into fail safe mode causing codes p2104 p2111 and p2112. I fixed it for free by using a electric motor housing off of a 2006 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 V-6 in it. Seems Ford used alot of the same parts on different vehicles. My LS runs great now no fail safe, no $700 spent on a new throttle body. I really hate that these cars have had so many problems I love the old car and I aint ready to get rid of it just yet.

Awesome work in troubleshooting this issue and thank you for posting it here. Out of curiosity what year and motor is your LS?

Awesome work in troubleshooting this issue and thank you for posting it here. Out of curiosity what year and motor is your LS?
Well, the title does say 06, and 06 only came with the V8...

Members online

No members online now.
Back