'06 Drive train into an '03?

RCodePaul

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So let's say I'm able to secure a nice low mileage '06 that's been totaled with a good low mileage engine and tranny from a credible ethical seller.
Plug and play in my "troubled" but loved '03?
Easier/quicker to drop entire front engine/suspension assy (as posted below by LVC member) or pull the traditional way out the top?
attachment.jpg

if you have the means to pull it out the bottom, i would do it that way.

It should work, but be warned that some of the wiring harnesses might be different.

I wish we had enough room for it to be easier from the top... imagine the possibilities :rolleyes: .... but yes. drop it

Zachary...

It should work, but be warned that some of the wiring harnesses might be different.

So what would you suggest when there's a difference? Maybe use the chassis (older) wiring harnesses and the older matching sensors etc?

Well...

if you have the means to pull it out the bottom, i would do it that way.

I've seen a pic of a Camaro lifted off the engine/tranny/front suspension assembly with a cherry picker attached to the front end of the body. I don't have a lift but I do have a cherrypicker...

I don't have a lift but I do have a cherrypicker...

seen it done on the mark...
so it should be in the realm of possibility.

you have to be careful, you cant just go and life off of anything.

I don't think of it as removing the engine from the bottom. I consider it removing the car from the top. :D

Bump

Can anyone confirm if an 06 tranny can be swapped into an 03 V8? or will it be more trouble than its worth?

that's what i thought but there is some uncertainty with 03's as 03 was a "transition year." Apparently 04-06 swaps should be no issues tho.

Mine was manufactured 02/03...does anyone know for sure?

You might just have to drop the tranny and find out the hard way...

How about calling Max or seeing if joegr or Quik knows? May be a bit more effective than going through all of the trouble for nothing.

Just wanted to update...

I went through with the installation and after a couple of weeks and a few hundred miles, there are no problems to report.

So my LS is running with an 06 tranny with about 69k.

I don't know if this will work for all early 03s but mine was manufactured 02/03 and this tranny from an 06 worked just fine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back