05 LS questions!

papilos

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I had the misfire like the majority of people here. I replaced 6 coils and I think it's slowly coming back.... I had the gasket cover changed and he oil cap was also leaking. Why the hell would it all happen again? That subwoofer sound that vibrates the whole car anyone know what it is? Does anyone get a burning smell when the temp drops below 60? I had hoses changed and can't figure out what is causing this burning smell. Is it a leak?

almost forgot to add the rattling sound when I accelerate at low RPM's i have a feeling it may be CAT related.... it's a real annoying sound

I too have a burning smell when it's cold out and my heater is set to above 75F, and the rattle. A few other members have reported the same exhaust rattle. It's inconclusive for now.

I had that rattle on my ls also.. i had my mechanic knock the covers to the cats off and havent heard the rattling since..

The rattle got REAL bad a few months ago and my local mechanic said, "your cat is shot" then the check engine came on. He said take it to the dealer since I was below 80,000 miles the changed it for free. Sound GONE!!! Now its back again im not much of a mechanic and never got under my LS but are there two CATS? or one that the dual exhaust comes from?

The rattle got REAL bad a few months ago and my local mechanic said, "your cat is shot" then the check engine came on. He said take it to the dealer since I was below 80,000 miles the changed it for free. Sound GONE!!! Now its back again im not much of a mechanic and never got under my LS but are there two CATS? or one that the dual exhaust comes from?

There are two cats, aren't there? I think that's right.

yes, there are two cats, one off each bank, however if the dealer replaced them, they should have replaced both as they are one part (i think anyways)

yea when i cut off the the factory crossover tube to put a X pipe in, i noticed that they where all one piece.

I have the 2005 ls with the v6 engine (which means it's not like the leaking valve cover gaskets which are common on the v8s) and have an oil burning smell. I can smell it when the heat in the car is on and on outside ventilation. I have noticed while the car is running oil drips onto the passenger side exhaust manifold toward the rear. The drip is coming from the back of the upper intake manifold where there are two black round electric "flapper" valves that go into the intake. On mine the oil drips from the bottom electric valve. I confirmed this when I had to remove the upper intake manifold while changing out the passenger side coils. There was oil inside the upper intake which pooled on the inside of the intake by this valve and drips out when the car is running. Haven't figured out why the oil is there or if is should be but I figure on replacing the rubber oring around the flapper valve to see if it stops the oil from leaking out. Anyone else with a cause or different solution to the oil issue please chime in. By the way the car runs perfectly, it doesn't smoke or burn any oil, etc. except the this leak. I repeat this is not the v8 Ls with the leaky valve cover gaskets, its the v6 and from what I have researched so far this may be becoming a common problem with the v6 ls. Thank you.

I have the 2005 ls with the v6 engine (which means it's not like the leaking valve cover gaskets which are common on the v8s) ...

Minor correction.
Leaking valve cover gaskets are not common on the 2004-2006 V8s. They actually did fix that problem.

Members online

Back