05 Lincoln LS heated/cool seats problem

any tutorials on how to open up the seats to check the duct work and such?

My passenger side was shutting down. I finally took it to a dealer recently and asked them to perform the TSB on the seat. I am now inconveniently located to my previous, awesome mechanic, so this is how I did it, not being a do it your selfer. So, here's how it went:

They tell me 2003 TSB doesn't apply to 2005 I say well actually, probably does, because they didn't redesign the actual seats, to my knowledge, in the 2003 remake. They also tell me they can't pull codes because they can't make it fail. I'm now wondering about their techs. The drama went on, finally I brought it back in full fail mode. They got a code from that, it said 'controller' or something like that, but turned out to be the tubing in the back seat was disconnected and tripping the stop switch. I commented that had he just done the TSB up front, the problem would have been fixed immediately, but I knew a little bit about these LS models and he seemed clueless about them. The return trip labor and parts were free, given that they misdiagnosed me and were being gracious about it.

Takeaways:
Yup, it's the hoses being disconnected.
My cost, $30 filter from parts dept., $130 for 'software update' (neither fixed the issue).
They made plenty on an unrelated repair (dangerous to set foot onto a dealership service site).
I'll use Enterprise to get my car to my old mechanic and consider that a repair cost.

...They tell me 2003 TSB doesn't apply to 2005 ...

They were correct. The ducts that were getting crushed were redesigned by 2005. (The 2003 TSB does apply to some 2004, I think.)
They couldn't do the exact 2003 TSB, because that repair/retrofit would not have fit the seat bottom. Who told you that the ducts and cushion in the seat bottom weren't redesigned after they figured out the flaw in 2004?

The duct to the seat back being detached is rare, but possible on all gen II.

No one told me the ducts weren't redesigned, I assumed they were not because I had not read that they were.

The code said 'controller' when it failed.

Hi Folks!

I was having a question about the duct replacement part #4W4Z-19N550-DA. Is this the same part for both front seat bottoms?

TIA!

Great thank you Joegr!

Great site here folks, between the info i found to fix my seats and egr valve here..and finding aftermarket part numbers on this site then buying them on ebay I have literally saved myself well over $1000 in these trying times :)

Thanks again!

So my driver side heated seat quit this past winter as well. Being that I have an 06, should I consider the ducts o.k. and try the filter or other things instead? Car was a one-owner previous car, but I bought from a dealer so I don't know if the previous owner was "heavy-set" or not. To me, the driver seat seems a little "flat", but maybe thats just from more use than the rest?

It's easy to tell.
Start the car, get out (nothing and no one sitting in the seat) and turn the seat on. Do you hear the seat fan start? If not, it's probably the fan. If you do, does it continue to run? If so, I guess it would be crushed ducts. If not, look to see if the duct to the seat back is disconnected. Otherwise, you'll need a good scan tool to read the codes to see what's causing it to shut down.

I had my seat fixed at the dealer about a year and a half ago (ended up being around $500), and it recently stopped working again. :'(

It's easy to tell.
Start the car, get out (nothing and no one sitting in the seat) and turn the seat on. Do you hear the seat fan start? If not, it's probably the fan. If you do, does it continue to run? If so, I guess it would be crushed ducts. If not, look to see if the duct to the seat back is disconnected. Otherwise, you'll need a good scan tool to read the codes to see what's causing it to shut down.

Thx for the suggestion. Back when it was cold out, I believe I did try turning it on from outside the car, but I honestly don't recall if I heard the seat fan. Now that it's warm and I don't use it, I'll have to give it a listen. I *think* I did NOT hear a fan run, but can't say for certain...

Haven't tried that, yet. It's supposed to get pretty warm later this week, so probably can give it a shot. It worked last summer.

Does the cooled seat still work and just not the heated part?

All of the same parts have to work for it to heat or to cool. It uses thermo-electric peltier (heatpump) modules. Run the current through in one direction, and they get hot on one side and cold on the other. Reverse the direction of the current, and the hot and cold sides swap around. If the seat is cooling, then cold air blows into the cushions, and hot air blows out on the floor under the seat. If set to heating, then hot air blows into the cushions, and cold air blows out on the floor under the seat.
If the duct in the seat bottom is crushed/blocked, then it is more likely that it will fail in heating than in cooling. (Blocked air to the heated side will cause it to overheat and shutdown. Blocked air to the cooling side is not as much of a problem.)

Members online

Back