05 Lincoln ls 3.9 keeps dying.

moneypitLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I had a misfire issue and replaced all the coils and plugs with motorcraft parts about 3-4 months ago. The miss went away and the car drove awesome other than it was getting low gas mileage. About a month ago it went into the failsafe mode so I brought it to my shop for inspection. They said the car drove fine, didnt go into failsafe mode for them and that they ran the codes and said its probably a dirty MAF or possibly dying cats. A few days after getting my car back it starts rapidly revving up and down about 1000 rpms and has very little power. After about 30 seconds of revving up and down it goes into failsafe mode again, starts driving fine and I make it home. The last time I tried to drive the car it did the revving thing, died twice backing out of my driveway and "check charging system" came up on the info box on the dash. I've cleaned the maf while its been parked but havent driven it since. Ill update later today once i read the codes myself and try driving it again

You say that it goes into "failsafe mode." Which one do you mean, there is more than one. What is the exact message that you get on the message center?

Its the electronic throttle control engine failsafe mode. I should probably add that starts and idles fine but acts up as soon as im in gear and pressing the accelerator.

Okay, need all the exact five character DTC codes.

You have a problem with the MAF, or the wiring to it. Note that aftermarket MAFs don't play well with this car (or most others for that matter).

Members online

No members online now.
Back