04 LS V8 or 97 Mark VIII LSC

GoFar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm in a big dilemma now. I'm selling my 01 LS after 2 years of great and expensive experience (she's past 207k now). Now I need something else.

There's a 04 V8, black on black for $2,200 that needs brakes, a transmission solenoid, and a power steering pump. There's a Crack in the front bumper, but that'll get replaced with an 06 bumper / LSE bumper. Everything else is great! I know beforehand all the problems the LS has, so if a problem occurs, I know where to look (I've had every single LS problem there is). 132k miles and the headlights are shockingly unoxidized. Bull Schimdts LS is actually my wallpaper every where... And not a Lamborghini. So his car is pretty accurate to how I want this one to look.

The Mark VIII is of course the LSC trim, also black on black, 125k miles. Needs a new paint job badly, some window switches, and a new passenger mirror. This is $2,100. The mechanics and air suspension is golden (no vibrations AT ALL when I touched the suspension caps), but air struts are $550 a piece; $100 more than a Mercedes-Benz CLS500 for some reason. The legendary 4.6 graces reliability, and the interior is enormous (seriously just sit in one and you'll know).

I'd literally would like to pick up both, but I'll have too many projects going on. Both of these cars are beautiful, more so when I'm done fixing them up. I'm moving here in a few months to a house not too far from here and quite honestly I just want my new neighbors to eye my car everytime they pull off their driveway.

I guess sit comes down to what you want more... the LS will be the better balanced and better handling car, but the Mark can be made much faster for much cheaper with a couple less doors...

the Air ride would be a huge concern with its age, and even if you think its good now, with its age, if it hasent been replaces yet, its gonna be due very soon.

however when a $40k car can be bought for $2k, I have a hard time believing its not going to need tons of work and money to get it back up to snuff.

.................. I just want my new neighbors to eye my car everytime they pull off their driveway.

Then get a BMW, MB, Audi or Cadillac. Lincoln doesn't impress anymore, if that's your intent.

Maybe you should get your neighbors to pick out a car for you...

hahahaha I didn't even notice the end of his first post until I read this gem.

I'd pick the one that had less rocker panel rot. I had a 94 tbird, essentially the same as the Mk8, and those love to rot right in front of the back tire right in plain site. I'm sure the neighbors would be disappointed if I still had it. However, my LS rocker has completely rotted, but its hidden behind a pretty black cover. I've got the wool pulled over their envious eyes!

If you're worried about what your neighbors will think, or want them to have a certain opinion of you you are/become a slave to them. Do what/believe YOU want/believe and don't concern yourself what others may (or may not) think.

hahahaha I didn't even notice the end of his first post until I read this gem.

I'd pick the one that had less rocker panel rot. I had a 94 tbird, essentially the same as the Mk8, and those love to rot right in front of the back tire right in plain site. I'm sure the neighbors would be disappointed if I still had it. However, my LS rocker has completely rotted, but its hidden behind a pretty black cover. I've got the wool pulled over their envious eyes!

yep, and it's much worse on sunroof cars because that's where the drains end up. stupid idea.

Both awesome cars, both have their issues. I had a 94 Mark VIII, put $1100 in bags a month after I bought it. Other than that, great car. Fast, fun, great gas mileage. I've had both a 2000 and 2001 LS Sport. Lots of crazy issues with those cars but they are nice looking cars that are fun to drive. I'd buy either model again because I liked both very much. In my personal experience with the 3 cars, I'd say other than the air bags, the Mark VIII is a more reliable car overall. The air bags were really the only issue I ever had in that car in the 70,000 miles I put on it. The LS's on the other hand... You have to love them to put up with the crazy issues.

I still have the 2001 LS Sport. I put a lot into it when I bought it in 2004; an LSE body kit, color keyed grill and rear license plate surround, video system for my kids (or so I told the wife), nice chrome 5 spoke wheels.... Car looks really nice, even now with rust around the wheel wells and paint peeling off the trunk lid and hood. Lucky for the LSE kit, covers the holes where the rocker panels used to be. I still get comments on it all the time how nice it looks. I knew a guy that bought an LSE because he loved the way mine looked. After 3 years he threw in the towel and sold it. Said he couldn't deal with the issues any more. He was not mechanically inclined and had to bring it in every time a problem occurred. Plus the dealership here was not a Lincoln dealership when the LS was produced so lots of the common problems we as owners know about, the dealership mechanics don't. I felt bad in a way but I never told him to go out and buy a car that looked exactly like mine...lol

The Mark will still have repair parts available; the LS not so much.....

Members online

No members online now.
Back