04 LS, DCCV or Blend door??? Or maybe something else?

Ok, so I decided to try and bleed the system again, I had a lot of air come out the bleeder, drove the car for a quick ride, came back and bled it some more. After about 3 cycles, I got heat! I decided to bleed it some more to get the rest out and have the system working correctly. Well, now Im not getting the hot air, now it's just warm. I shoulda left it alone! Well, I'm gonna try a few more cycles and see if I don't get my heat back. Seems as if there's lots of air in there.

Ok, so I decided to try and bleed the system again, I had a lot of air come out the bleeder, drove the car for a quick ride, came back and bled it some more. After about 3 cycles, I got heat! I decided to bleed it some more to get the rest out and have the system working correctly. Well, now Im not getting the hot air, now it's just warm. I shoulda left it alone! Well, I'm gonna try a few more cycles and see if I don't get my heat back. Seems as if there's lots of air in there.

I'd look for a leak. I replaced almost all of the plastic cooling system parts in my 04 when three or four parts started cracking/leaking at the same time.

Could intermittent heat loss be a sign of a dccv malfunction?

I'm gonna go ahead and just drain all the old fluids today and refill because the air seems to be trapped pretty good. If I want to use compressed air to blow the rest of the fluids out after the majority has drained, where is a good place to blow from?

Ok, I drained the radiator, but the degas bottle is still full. Is that normal for it not to drain? How can I drain it?

There should be a plug under it.

Or you could do siphon it out with one of the fish tank pumps.

I hope it's normal, but if that's the case, why does the manual say to start adding coolant from the degas?

For filling, first you fill the cooling tower on the engine, then finish off through the degas. Unfortunately, there's not a super-easy flow through the entire system. The heater circuit and engine circuit don't flow very freely between each other, at least compared to most other cars.
The slow drain is normal, and that's just because of the complexity of the routing.

What I've done for a more complete (quick) drain is remove the engine fill cap, degas cap, radiator drain cock, and one or two hoses (whatever is easily accessible) from the DCCV.

You can also use a shop vac to suck some more of the coolant out. Just make sure that you've opened the caps and disconnected a few hoses such that the vacuum won't try to collapse any of the plastic parts.

Much of the coolant won't just drain out.

Ok, So decided to look the cooling system over once more today and see if I had any luck. My A/C works great, but I still had no heat. Yesterday, I drained the old stuff out and decided to fill it with just water and run it like that for a day and then see what kinda crud would come out in a day with another drain.

Today, I drained the system once more. Then, I started with the degas bottle to make sure there was no blockage there, since when I drained the system, it was the only thing that didnt drain. I removed it and all the hoses attached and made sure there was free flow for the coolant. I used some regulated low pressure air and listened as the air made its way. Then I went to the engine fill port and checked those hoses, I pulled the lower hose off which runs to the aux pump and guess what I found?! A huge bolt shoved into that hose! I'm guessing thats how the mechanic from before had bypassed the DCCV, either that or somebody was trying to make some easy cash... Pictures below.. Now my heaters blowing flaming hot air! Thanx all for your input, Ive learned alot about this cooling sytem from this incident.

d87d7f3d.jpg

52dabd70.jpg

24a582ab.jpg

0806def7.jpg

There was another thread where the same thing had happened but it was a wooden plug instead of a blot.

seems like this is a common scam.

Members online

No members online now.
Back