'04 Aviator - No Cluster and no climate controls

techstudio

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So my 2004 Aviator sat for about 3 months on a trickle charger since it is mainly used in the winter. I went out the other day to drive it since we got snow and i suddenly have no instrument cluster. Not just the illumination, but the gauges themselves are not functioning (e.g. the speedo and tach sit at zero even while driving). I do however have headlights (not auto, have to manually turn them on) and turn signals. Additionally the climate control has zero power. I swapped out the climate control unit with another one and have the same issue. I've checked all the fuses and they test good. I'm at my wits end trying to figure it out. Any ideas?

I don't know which ones are the SSP relays on the Navigator, so check them all. You can swap the relays around to see if one of them failed, if so your problems will change. It's also possible that there is a wiring or control module issue, in which case one of the relays may not be being driven. You can use a low current test light to check around each set of coil contacts in the relay sockets.

Well I moved around all the relays, under the hood, that were the same. No change. Gonna try the ones under the driver side tomorrow.

I'm a bit late to the party but reviewed the wiring diagram from the factory service manual. There are a lot of common power and ground circuits between the instrument cluster and the Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DATC).

Fuses F1.15 (10A) and F1.23 (30A) in the Battery Junction Box (BJB) are common to both the Instrument Cluster (IC) as well as the DATC. Additionally, fuses 2.15 (5A) and F2.30 (5A) are also both common to the IC and the DATC. These are located in the Central Junction Box. Both the IC and DATC also share a common ground, G203.

The only thing in common, from a power perspective, with the auto headlamps is that the sunload sensor shares ground G203, so confirming that ground may be the place to start. Ground G203 is pretty well protected, but located at a center console bracket.
1645139403400.png

-Rod

Members online

No members online now.
Back