'04 airbox and rev limiter

zeebee

LVC Member
Reaction score
(2004 LS V8)I changed my air filter the other day and removed the inlet piece from the front of the air chamber to allow more air to the box. This has helped, and I don't think it's picking up any hot air from the engine bay - it still is fed from the cool air coming into the grill.
When I removed the airbox to do this, I unplugged the MAF sensor and with it unplugged I started the engine and the engine rev limiter turned itself off and went into "engine failsafe mode". In this mode the throttle actually responded to my attempt to rev the engine whilst in Park.
It kind of bugs me to have no ability to rev the engine, and now I see that you can actually get it to rev. I thought it was a fly by wire setup but now I see that there is a mechanical linkage from the pedal to the throttle, it is just limited when in Park.

Does anyone know of a computer mod that can be bought or performed by the dealer that will disable the rev limiter so's I can gun the motor whilst at a stop light or in the driveway?

eL eS said:
I think quik ls has been able to disable it uisng the sctflasher and software.

The rev limit is disabled by the flasher.

Also,
All 2003 and later LS's have the same airbox. I replaced mine with the KKM intake (see pic). It is awesome. Not very expensive either...
kkm.jpg

correct - I can now do a 7000rpm netrual drop... :headbang:

[/kidding]

May be common knowledge, but where would one find an scm flasher and will it work with an '04?

[/kidding][/QUOTE]

it should as long as they have your current PCM code in there database. Check with Torrie he can tell you for sure.

Here's the vendor I use:

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)
[url="http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/"]http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com[/url]
SCT Custom Chip / Flasher dealer
Dynojet WideBand Commander dealer
Wide Band Dyno tuning services now available
Dyno shop # 904-819-9637

eL eS said:
you might have an sct dealer in you town check www.sctflash.com. It could be a big help to work with a local shop but check to see if they have worked with the LS' pcm.

How many of you have used this item and what were the gains you got from it. What did you do about having to send the PCM in. ANything else I might need to know about this upgrade would be awsome too. Thanks alot.

Nolan

eL eS said:
you might have an sct dealer in you town check www.sctflash.com. It could be a big help to work with a local shop but check to see if they have worked with the LS' pcm.

it should be someone that has worked on a LS before....

dropped74 said:
How many of you have used this item and what were the gains you got from it. What did you do about having to send the PCM in. ANything else I might need to know about this upgrade would be awsome too. Thanks alot.

Nolan

many.

the most aggressive tune I am running without 'pinging' is yeilding an increade of 19rwhp.

you do not have to send your PCM in anymore - the tuner uploads three tunes into the unit (typically mild, more, and wild). when you plug it in to your car the first time - it downloads a copy of the current PCM into a 'factory' position - so you can always go back to stock if needed.

Quik LS said:
many.

the most aggressive tune I am running without 'pinging' is yeilding an increade of 19rwhp.

you do not have to send your PCM in anymore - the tuner uploads three tunes into the unit (typically mild, more, and wild). when you plug it in to your car the first time - it downloads a copy of the current PCM into a 'factory' position - so you can always go back to stock if needed.

This is pretty impressive and how much is the flasher. So when you say the most aggresive you run without pinging does that mean that you are running on the wild setting. Also has this flasher caused anyone problems.

I just ordered one, it was $325 plus $8 for shipping.
I have emailed the guys at fordpartsnetwork, LLC and they responded very quickly. I let you all know my impressions when it shows up! :dancefool

dropped74 said:
This is pretty impressive and how much is the flasher. So when you say the most aggresive you run without pinging does that mean that you are running on the wild setting. Also has this flasher caused anyone problems.

the flasher is $325 - with 3 tunes

I am running the most wild tune - we have tried about 50 different ones to get the best balance of power and drivability. we also have adjusted the the shift points and shifting firmess.

the flasher is working well - I was the guinnie pig - so we did have some early issues that are now worked out.

zeebee said:
quik - did you mean that the early issue are now worked out?

oops - sorry a 't' instad of a 'w' makes that read totally different......

Quik LS said:
the flasher is $325 - with 3 tunes

I am running the most wild tune - we have tried about 50 different ones to get the best balance of power and drivability. we also have adjusted the the shift points and shifting firmess.

the flasher is working well - I was the guinnie pig - so we did have some early issues that are now worked out.

So these shift points are already in the tune that you chose between the three and all three have diferent setting throughout the entire drivetrain. I am sorry about all of the questions I just like to know what I am getting for my 325 dollars!!! Thanks for your time, and I will talk to you soon

dropped74 said:
So these shift points are already in the tune that you chose between the three and all three have diferent setting throughout the entire drivetrain. I am sorry about all of the questions I just like to know what I am getting for my 325 dollars!!! Thanks for your time, and I will talk to you soon

correct - you can tell the guy making the tunes to add the shifting changes to which ever (or all) of the 3 tunes.

I only have the shifting changes on my 'wild' tune - which is the one I run.

eL eS said:

My V6 was dyno'd before and after and the gain was about 10/10 hp/tourque. I have the magnaflow exhaust and cone air filter. In all we spent about 5 hours on the car with tunes and dynoing.

You don't have to send the pcm the flashes are sent to the car via the xcalibrator which plugs into the OBD II port.

eL eS said:
My V6 was dyno'd before and after and the gain was about 10/10 hp/tourque. I have the magnaflow exhaust and cone air filter. In all we spent about 5 hours on the car with tunes and dynoing.

You don't have to send the pcm the flashes are sent to the car via the xcalibrator which plugs into the OBD II port.

I guess the V-6 does not see the gaines the 8 sees does that explain the difference in what they show on their website and what quick is seeing in comarison to el es. Also one last thanks guys you have been great. :L

dropped74 said:
I guess the V-6 does not see the gaines the 8 sees does that explain the difference in what they show on their website and what quick is seeing in comarison to el es. Also one last thanks guys you have been great. :L

I think he might have started around 13hp and has improved upon the tune as time and testing has permited.

Members online

No members online now.
Back