03 LS Wiper pump works sometimes

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Quick question!
I have had issues with my washer fluid not coming out at times when I press the switch, then other times it works just fine when I press the button. I know I have had the turn signal switch code and likely still do as it never goes away but I have replaced it with a few used ones and it never changed at all and the code stayed. I would buy new but it's simply no longer an option with new or aftermarket. Would you suspect the reason for the fluid not working at times being the pump or more the switch?

...Would you suspect the reason for the fluid not working at times being the pump or more the switch?
More information is needed, but my first guess is that it is neither.

When you press the switch (assuming the low wiper fluid light is not on), do the wipers cycle even if the fluid does not squirt?
If the wipers cycle, then it is not the switch. There is only one contact in the switch for wash.
(If the low fluid light is on, the wipers won't cycle. This seemed like a weird way to do it to me, till I got a car that didn't do this. Pressed the wash button, there was no fluid, so the wipers smeared the mud everywhere and I couldn't stop them for a few sweeps.)

When it doesn't squirt, can you hear the pump running? (Assuming that you can hear it when it does squirt.)
If you hear the motor running, then it is a problem with the pump or hoses.

If not...

My 04 did this (intermittent operation of the washers). It was not the switch and it was not the pump. Pinpoint testing narrowed it down to the wiper motor or the connector next to in. (The wiper motor has all the wiper electronics built into it, including the drive for the washer pump motor. This is gen II only.) I finally removed and disassembled the wiper motor and looked for cold solder joints or failed components. I didn't find any, but it worked after I reinstalled it. (I had already tried disconnecting and reconnecting all the connectors involved.) It worked again for years, but I think it was starting to fail again just before we gave the car up.

More information is needed, but my first guess is that it is neither.

When you press the switch (assuming the low wiper fluid light is not on), do the wipers cycle even if the fluid does not squirt?
If the wipers cycle, then it is not the switch. There is only one contact in the switch for wash.
(If the low fluid light is on, the wipers won't cycle. This seemed like a weird way to do it to me, till I got a car that didn't do this. Pressed the wash button, there was no fluid, so the wipers smeared the mud everywhere and I couldn't stop them for a few sweeps.)

When it doesn't squirt, can you hear the pump running? (Assuming that you can hear it when it does squirt.)
If you hear the motor running, then it is a problem with the pump or hoses.

If not...

My 04 did this (intermittent operation of the washers). It was not the switch and it was not the pump. Pinpoint testing narrowed it down to the wiper motor or the connector next to in. (The wiper motor has all the wiper electronics built into it, including the drive for the washer pump motor. This is gen II only.) I finally removed and disassembled the wiper motor and looked for cold solder joints or failed components. I didn't find any, but it worked after I reinstalled it. (I had already tried disconnecting and reconnecting all the connectors involved.) It worked again for years, but I think it was starting to fail again just before we gave the car up.
When I press the switch, the wipers cycle no matter what each time. When I press and the fluid does not come out I never hear the motor of the pump. The fluid level is atleast 3/4 of the way full currently.

I'd bet on the wiper motor, but there are tests you can do.

I have had to change a wiper (transmission) motor before for the wiper and them things are a pain to change cause of how tight they are. You do mean the wiper transmission motor under the cowl right? Or are you talking about the Pump (motor) on the tank itself?
Edit:
Did you have the code for the wiper switch, when that occurred for you? And when you replaced the motor, did that solve that as well if it was the case?

Last edited:
No code as there was never anything wrong with the wiper part of the switch.
The wiper motor.
I didn't replace the motor, I put the same one back in after looking over it. I don't recall if I retouched some of the solder joints or not, but I probably did.

No code as there was never anything wrong with the wiper part of the switch.
The wiper motor.
I didn't replace the motor, I put the same one back in after looking over it. I don't recall if I retouched some of the solder joints or not, but I probably did.
Would I be safe with an a1 Cardone replacement motor? I know I used one in my 02 but as you said there is a difference in the gen 2 version. I'm going to chase down the issue first but I found a good price is why I ask.

I have no idea. You should be as long as it is for a 2nd gen LS. Do the pinpoint test that I linked first, just in case it is something else.

I have no idea. You should be as long as it is for a 2nd gen LS. Do the pinpoint test that I linked first, just in case it is something else.
Thanks, as soon as I get to where my voltmeter is I will do the test. I'm going through a divorce and most of my things are in storage.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I am leaving out here...
Not the washer pump.
The smart wiper motor.

Note that this is only advised if you follow the pinpoint testing and it indicates that it is the wiper motor.

I'm not sure what I am leaving out here...
Not the washer pump.
The smart wiper motor.

Note that this is only advised if you follow the pinpoint testing and it indicates that it is the wiper motor.
No thats what I thought. I just wanted to be 100% clear being the other part has the name motor in it. Thanks, my mind is hazy these days so I double check that I am on the same page sometimes.

Last edited:

Members online

Back