03 LS V8 Transmission

johnscottccr

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have an '03 LS V8 Sport. Just recently, the transmission has been acting really wierd. About 2 weeks ago in medium traffic, the transmission hesitates on downshift, and shutters on upshifts. I don't really drive it 'that' hard, but do at times put my foot in the gas when cruising at 65 or so on the interstate. The shuttering is really felt when going from 2nd to 3rd, and from
3rd to 4th... and slightly in 5th. And, whenever I'm coming to a complete stop, and the tranny is downshifting to 2nd, then 1st, I hear a thunk everytime. Spoke to a service mgr at a FLM dealer, and he said they would look at it, and it 'probably' needed some additive. I'm thinking, NO, theres something wrong mechanically or electronically, and an 'additive' isn't a permamnent fix. Is this the kind of crap we should expect to hear, when a car like this cost's as much as they do? I replied, 'Well, I might have to break it then, so they'll have to fix it!' He of course said, 'Well, if it's broke, they'll have to replace it.' I was more less joking, but... honestly, this vehicle is still under fact warranty with 40,000 miles on it, not to mention I have it serviced on time. One other thing too, the front brakes were recently done, and on stopping, i hear some noises? Any Ideas? Any input is always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

johnscottccr said:
Hi. I have an '03 LS V8 Sport. Just recently, the transmission has been acting really wierd. About 2 weeks ago in medium traffic, the transmission hesitates on downshift, and shutters on upshifts. I don't really drive it 'that' hard, but do at times put my foot in the gas when cruising at 65 or so on the interstate. The shuttering is really felt when going from 2nd to 3rd, and from
3rd to 4th... and slightly in 5th. And, whenever I'm coming to a complete stop, and the tranny is downshifting to 2nd, then 1st, I hear a thunk everytime. Spoke to a service mgr at a FLM dealer, and he said they would look at it, and it 'probably' needed some additive. I'm thinking, NO, theres something wrong mechanically or electronically, and an 'additive' isn't a permamnent fix. Is this the kind of crap we should expect to hear, when a car like this cost's as much as they do? I replied, 'Well, I might have to break it then, so they'll have to fix it!' He of course said, 'Well, if it's broke, they'll have to replace it.' I was more less joking, but... honestly, this vehicle is still under fact warranty with 40,000 miles on it, not to mention I have it serviced on time. One other thing too, the front brakes were recently done, and on stopping, i hear some noises? Any Ideas? Any input is always greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Early 03's suffered from a tranny problem. I had mine go batty like this at 3K miles. They replaced a valve body and reflashed the trans. Never had a problem since then.

I had the same problem on my 03 at about 17k miles, at first when i reported the problem they had no idea. So i drove it hard for a about a day and tripped a error light. Took it back in and they replaced the valve body, its been fine ever since then. Downshifting when climbing hills is still slightly harsh but my 36k mile check up is coming up soon so hopefully the tranny flush they perform at that point will fix the harsh downshifting on inclines.

dc

take to dealer. will likely need valve body and solenoid pack replaced.

03 Tranny

I had an 03 and I too had to have the tranny serviced with barely a thousand miles on it. They replaced a solenoid and it worked okay afterwards.
I drove mine in select shift and mine was a little rough shifting from second to third and it would shutter when shifted into fifth. You can actually reset the tranny by disconnecting the battery. According to the the manuel this will make the tranny seem like new again, (I never did this). I noticed even when I drove it in automatic the tranny changed rough.

If you complain loud enough I am sure that they will change it. My tranny seemed too have moods all its own, sometimes it was smooth and sometimes it was rough. It was alway's fast though despite the rough shifting.

johnscottccr said:

My 03 premium sport started shifting eratically with less than 7000 miles on it.
Dealer wanted to reflash it. After finding that it had already been PCMed once they said hmmmm, maybe solenoids. Mechanic replaced solenoids and valve body. He told me that I shouldn't have any more trouble with it. Now its smooth as your girlfriend's butt! Lincolnlov

03 LS V8 Transmission - Update

#
Hi,

Had my '03 LS V8 Sport at the FLM dealer for a 'concern' according to their invoice. Anyhow, heres some notes from the invoice:

CONCERN 55 - CUST STATES SHUDDERING THRU GEARS.

CORRECTION - ROAD TESTED TO CONFIRM-W DATALOGGER-CKD SSM'S, SSA REFERENCED.

55-1 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SOLENOID VALVE - SHIFT - REPLACE

COMMENT - TSB#03-15-8 REPROGRAMMED PCM W LATEST VERSION

TECH NOTES - PERFORMED ADAPTIVE STRATEGY RESET - ROAD TESTED SHUDDERING STILL PRESENT-R&I TRANS PAN,R&R SOLENOID BODY,R&I VALVE BODY - CLEANED AND INSPECTED REASSEMBLED, TOPPED FLUID& RE ROAD TEST TO CONFIRM REPAIR

Now, the interesting thing is this. Today, I took the car to Atlanta, and of course traffic is heavy, and stop and go. Everything seemed fine until, once or twice when i slowed to 25mph or so, and accelerated so that it would downshift.... when it shifted into the next gear, shuddering was still there. After reading the tech's notes, I see they did replace the SOLENOID's, but they only cleaned the valve body and DID NOT replace it. Am I correct on this. I guess I'll be headed back to the FLM dealer... soon. Someone told me I should try and get them to replace the valve body and front pump as well. Not sure how to tell them that and if they'll even listen to me. I'm lost. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

Scott

Just out of curiosity, how do the solenoids and valve body work? Are they designed, so that without one, you cannot have the other?

Hello, anybody there? Just kidding... I know there are a lot of posts to go thru. Anyhow, it's nice to know there are great people here willing to share information on the cars we drive. Thanks!

I'm by no means an expert in transmissions...however it was my understanding that the valve body not working right creates a condition that causes the solenoid packs to go bad (incorrect line pressure, overheating?)...not sure what the issue is. I am under this assumption due to many reporting that solenoid pack replacement only temporarily fixed the problem. these folks went in for a valve body and solenoid pack replacement (again) and all I've seen is positive results.

Members online

No members online now.
Back