'03 LS V8 questions

johnscottccr

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering what could be wrong, if anything with my transmission. From time to time, when changing from (R)everse to (D)rive, or vice versa, the transmission shifting is extremely harsh. This doesn't happen at all times, just occasionally. I have recently just had my 30K maintenance performed by the FLM dealership, and nothing was reported to me from the techs. I am just curious. I am also wondering what others on here might use to clean the interior carpets with to remove stains.

Thanks, Scott

There is a TSB out about that problem but it was sent out for 2000-2001 LS's. However, I don't know if it is applicable to the 2003 and up LS's. Here is the TSB:

A/T - 5R55N Delayed DRIVE/REVERSE Engagements
Article No.
01-14-5

07/23/01

TRANSMISSION - 5R55N - DELAYED REVERSE OR
DRIVE ENGAGEMENTS - HARSH UPSHIFTS OR
DOWNSHIFTS - ERRATIC UPSHIFTS - DELAYED
DOWNSHIFTS NEAR 20 MPH - VEHICLES BUILT
BEFORE 10/17/2000

LINCOLN:
2000-2001 LS

This article is being republished in its entirety to include additional calibrations and to update the build date range.

ISSUE

Some vehicles built prior to 10/17/2000 with the 5R55N transmission may exhibit delayed Reverse or Drive engagements, harsh upshifts or downshifts, erratic upshifts, or delayed downshifts near 32 km/h (20 mph). This may be caused by the calibration of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

ACTION

Follow normal diagnostic procedures and verify the condition. If the condition is valid, reprogram the PCM to latest calibration level. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If the vehicle is built prior to 10/17/2000 and has the conditions listed and does not have the latest PCM calibration, (see chart) reprogram the PCM. Vehicles built after 10/17/2000 are not affected by this TSB.

1. If the condition is valid, first repair all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that may be present.

2. Determine if the condition is caused by an internal transmission component and repair as required.

3. Clear all DTCs and validate the repair.

4. If the condition is still present or returns after repair, the PCM must be reprogrammed. Refer to the PCM Calibration Information Chart as shown.

5. Follow the procedures found in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Service Manual and reprogram the PCM to latest calibration level.

6. After reprogramming has been completed, the transmission adaptive strategy for pressure control on engagements must be updated.

7. Install diagnostic equipment and monitor the Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT).

8. Warm the transmission fluid to at least 54°C (130°F) as indicated by the TFT.

9. Perform five (5) engagements from Park to Reverse. Each engagement must be 5 seconds apart.

10. Perform five (5) engagements from Drive to Reverse. Each engagement must be 5 seconds apart

11. Perform five (5) engagements from Reverse to Drive. Each engagement must be 5 seconds apart.

12. Perform five (5) engagements from Neutral to Drive. Each engagement must be 5 seconds apart.

NOTE ALL OF THESE ENGAGEMENTS MUST BE PERFORMED IN ORDER FOR THE ENGAGEMENT PRESSURES TO PROPERLY ADAPT WITH THE NEW CALIBRATION.

Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 01-1-5
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

011405A Reprogram Powertrain 1.0 Hrs.
Control Module Then
Update Transmission
Adaptive Strategy (Includes
Time For Final Test Drive)
DEALER CODING CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
RECALEM 42
OASIS CODES: 501000, 502000, 503000, 504000

I do not know for how long Ford is offering it, but back in March my 2004 had the harsh shifting issue. I bought it used in March and the problem didn't show up until a week or two later. A couple times I thought I had been rear ended by a bus of car, it was that harsh. Usually harsh when accelerating, slowing down and then accelerating just before a shift.

I called Lincoln customer support for other issues and they mentioned there was a customer satisfaction program about the transmissions and that repairs would be covered under warranty. It sounded like either there was a cutoff date or a time clock that starts once you are notified which forces you to act soon.

Anyway, it would be worthwhile to take it into your Lincoln dealer and mention the harsh shifting. You may be covered under the program. It includes free rental car.

Good Luck, you may be covered.

Jim Henderson

Jim -

I've experienced the exact same thing with my 03 LS8. Just like you've said - slowing down for a light that changes to green - I would have sworn I had been rear ended - but just an incrediable hard shift that snapped my head into the headrest. It's only done it one other time.

Members online

Back