03 ls p1289 code

feliciano214

New LVC Member
Reaction score
i know this maybe a common issue and if i can be directed to the correct thread that would be great... i have a 120,000mi 03 ls v6 and i have had it for a year now. i only had the car overheat on me once because of a bad bypass hose that goes over the belt in the center. i drove about 150 miles today and came home no problem. then leave a few hours later and the coolant light is on the fan is going fast but the car isnt overheating. i turned the car off and turn the ign. to the run and the temp goes up to the halfway mark and just sticks. im full of coolant and no leaks from what i can see. if anyone has the walkthrough on changing the cht sensor that would greatly be appreciated.

That's not a coolant light. That is an overheat light. The LS has no coolant level warning or sensor.

Are you really sure it was not overheating? If so, you would be the very rare exception to everyone else who has posted that their car was not overheating but the temperature gauge was reading max now and then. The way the gauge operates fools most people, because it really can (and does) go to max temperature and then back to mid range after a one minute shutdown and restart. The thing is, there are actually only a few degrees between mid range and maximum. The gauge is very non-linear.

If you do mess with the CHT, it is not reusable. Once you loosen it, you have to replace it with a new one. The end of it gets smashed into place, and probably won't go back correctly.

Neither of mine are the V6, so I don't know the exact location of the CHT on yours, but I know that it is next to one of the COPs. I think it is on the bank that is not covered by the intake manifold.

Did you bleed the cooling system exactly by the factory procedure when you replaced the hose?

That's not a coolant light. That is an overheat light. The LS has no coolant level warning or sensor.

Are you really sure it was not overheating? If so, you would be the very rare exception to everyone else who has posted that their car was not overheating but the temperature gauge was reading max now and then. The way the gauge operates fools most people, because it really can (and does) go to max temperature and then back to mid range after a one minute shutdown and restart. The thing is, there are actually only a few degrees between mid range and maximum. The gauge is very non-linear.

If you do mess with the CHT, it is not reusable. Once you loosen it, you have to replace it with a new one. The end of it gets smashed into place, and probably won't go back correctly.

Neither of mine are the V6, so I don't know the exact location of the CHT on yours, but I know that it is next to one of the COPs. I think it is on the bank that is not covered by the intake manifold.

Did you bleed the cooling system exactly by the factory procedure when you replaced the hose?

i bled the system according to the proper procedure.
i just got back from driving my car from dallas to kaufman and back and each stop i turned the car off and turned the ignition over and the needle is right where it should be at operating temp. i doubled checked when i arrived home and its still at normal operating temp.

Members online

Back