03 ls fail safe mode im perplexed!

03lincolnlsSC

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Last week my car through a code that ended up being the COP number 8 (OR H)so I replaced it and all the spark plugs while i was at it. So I drove it 400 miles with no problem now its really messing up. My car was litterly putting into the parking lot at work. I had to get it towed home. I got it home and put the code reader on it and said that i had 4 COPs that went bad! I was like wtf. so i check them by putting them on a different connector( FOR INSTANCE I PUT NUMBER 3(or C) COIL ON NUMBER 2's(or B) SPOT AND THE COIL WAS WORKING AND I DID IT FOR ALL OF THEM AND ALL THE COPS WERE WORKING WHEN I PUT IT ON A DIFFERENT PLUG) so whats not working its the wiring harness that plugs into the COP. The coils that it said werent working were: C, F, G, H, ( NOW REMEMBER I JUST REPLACE H). so after moving them all around i put everything together and tried to start the car hoping it would work and again it ran like only half the engine was firing. Now i did alot of research and know lincolns coils go bad alot but i tested all my coils and they all work. So i know when the car goes into failsafe mode that it shuts down some of the COPs because its telling it that its over heating. BUT WHAT SENSOR TELLS THE COMPUTER TO GO INTO FAIL SAFE MODE?? I heard the cylinder head sensor or the coolant temp sensor? I mean its weird how 4 out of the 8 cop connectors are working and there in random positions.

Last week my car through a code that ended up being the COP number 8 (OR H)so I replaced it and all the spark plugs while i was at it. So I drove it 400 miles with no problem now its really messing up. My car was litterly putting into the parking lot at work. I had to get it towed home. I got it home and put the code reader on it and said that i had 4 COPs that went bad! I was like wtf. so i check them by putting them on a different connector( FOR INSTANCE I PUT NUMBER 3(or C) COIL ON NUMBER 2's(or B) SPOT AND THE COIL WAS WORKING AND I DID IT FOR ALL OF THEM AND ALL THE COPS WERE WORKING WHEN I PUT IT ON A DIFFERENT PLUG) so whats not working its the wiring harness that plugs into the COP. The coils that it said werent working were: C, F, G, H, ( NOW REMEMBER I JUST REPLACE H). so after moving them all around i put everything together and tried to start the car hoping it would work and again it ran like only half the engine was firing. Now i did alot of research and know lincolns coils go bad alot but i tested all my coils and they all work. So i know when the car goes into failsafe mode that it shuts down some of the COPs because its telling it that its over heating. BUT WHAT SENSOR TELLS THE COMPUTER TO GO INTO FAIL SAFE MODE?? I heard the cylinder head sensor or the coolant temp sensor? I mean its weird how 4 out of the 8 cop connectors are working and there in random positions.

Try checking the connections at your injectors. If they are loose, they will make the car run bad.

for starters, the coils dont usually completely fail on the LS (majority of the time) most of the time they function fine and only misfire every once and awhile, a misfire on coils 3 or 4 can often cause interference which the computer mis identifys as a different problem and sends the car into failsafe mode. also when the car misfires, it has to do its best job guessing which cylinder it was on, so it could tell you the wrong cylinder was misfiring.

... So i know when the car goes into failsafe mode that it shuts down some of the COPs because its telling it that its over heating. BUT WHAT SENSOR TELLS THE COMPUTER TO GO INTO FAIL SAFE MODE?? I heard the cylinder head sensor or the coolant temp sensor? I mean its weird how 4 out of the 8 cop connectors are working and there in random positions.

You don't know as much as you think you know. The PCM does not disable the coils when the engine overheats. It disables each fuel injector every other time that it would normally inject fuel. This gives each cylinder the chance to cool off a little bit. Note that: (1) it is the fuel injectors, not the coils, and (2) it is not a specific four injectors, but instead all of them are alternately disabled.

I would suspect that you may have damaged your coil connectors (did you break the plastic tabs that lock them in?), or your harness. Alternately, if you put some of those weird non-factory plugs in, that could be the problem.

I'm with joegr. I just did my all 8 coils and most of my connectors fell apart and the car runs like crap. Which is why it's parked and I'm waiting on the new ones are on the way. Difference is my car isn't and has never gone into failsafe mode because of it. So IMHO I would say you have a much bigger problem. Almost sounds like a bad ground some where. Check your harness.

still not fixed

:confused:
I replaced every coil and its still misfiring on C,F,G,H. I took it to ford and there were supposed to run a diagnostics test on it but they said it was misfiring so bad they couldnt. They said they could stress test the coils to see which ones were bad but since there new i was like hell no not for 450 when i know there new. and they also said theyd replaced all the spark plugs and coils for $1600! ( I HAD JUST DONE THIS) so i took my car home. I replaced all the o2 sensors and its still running bad.

I know the harness works bc i put a voltage tester on it and it got spirts of power when the computer tries to turn the cylinder on and bring it back up to working but for some reason there not turning on. i think its acoupe things that could be wrong with it!

1) Bad PCM (powertrain control module) that wouldnt be good bcs its like $1100 :mad:

2) Bad camshaft position sensor.

3) Bad injectors but i dont know which ones??

please someone help me! i dont know what to do and im tired of throwing money at parts that wont work! :confused:

*I need a diagram on the COP harness to see where the wires go!
- Does anyone know where to get or download a free service manual or diagrams?????

:confused:
I replaced every coil and its still misfiring on C,F,G,H. I took it to ford and there were supposed to run a diagnostics test on it but they said it was misfiring so bad they couldnt. They said they could stress test the coils to see which ones were bad but since there new i was like hell no not for 450 when i know there new. and they also said theyd replaced all the spark plugs and coils for $1600! ( I HAD JUST DONE THIS) so i took my car home. I replaced all the o2 sensors and its still running bad.

I know the harness works bc i put a voltage tester on it and it got spirts of power when the computer tries to turn the cylinder on and bring it back up to working but for some reason there not turning on. i think its acoupe things that could be wrong with it!

1) Bad PCM (powertrain control module) that wouldnt be good bcs its like $1100 :mad:

2) Bad camshaft position sensor.

3) Bad injectors but i dont know which ones??

please someone help me! i dont know what to do and im tired of throwing money at parts that wont work! :confused:

*I need a diagram on the COP harness to see where the wires go!
- Does anyone know where to get or download a free service manual or diagrams?????

None of the coil connectors are broken, each one has its tab on there.

Are you using OEM plugs?
Are you using OEM coils?
Did you disturb the fuel injector connections in any way?
Did you check the coil wiring harness to make sure it wasn't pinched anywhere?
Did you check the injector wiring harness to make sure it wasn't pinched anywhere?
Have you checked for +12V power on the positive sides of the coils while the key is in the run position?
Have you checked for +12V power on the positive sides of the injectors while the key is in the run position?

Your car has two reduced power/failsafe modes. You have experienced neither as neither one sets any misfire codes. Also, either one would have been indicated on the message center display.

Members online

Back