03 lincoln ls 8 spoke wheels

michael key

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I had wheels put on my 2003 ls because the tire place said 2 of them were bent. I just left the tire place with all four 8 spoke chrome wheels and it didn't solve the issue. I am giving away the four stock wheels to whoever wants to pay shipping.

Last edited:
Toying with the idea. Pittsburg would be central for us if you are willing to meet. Scratch that for a moment!!!

You still have the same issue,,, even with different rims??? It's been mentioned many times on this forum,,, that the tires need to be "road force balanced". If the tire place you went to,,, doesn't have that machine... you are fighting a losing battle.

Try a local Ford dealer,,, and ask if they can road force balance the rim and tire assembly. It does make a difference. Maybe also ask them to inspect the suspension. Could be minimal "slop" somewhere causing the vibration.

Even threads on here, (somewhere), where people did the RFB... and half way throught the wear of the tire,,, the vibration came back. Tires are supposed to be rotated every 5000 miles. I alternate "cross rotation" with front to back rotation... in an attempt to keep the tires wearing evenly. So far... I have gone at LEAST the rated milage rating on the tires,,, if not longer.

Is the vibration in the steering wheel,,, or your butt??? Location determines where the issue is. Front or rear, (no pun intended).

trying to post pics
Toying with the idea. Pittsburg would be central for us if you are willing to meet. Scratch that for a moment!!!

You still have the same issue,,, even with different rims??? It's been mentioned many times on this forum,,, that the tires need to be "road force balanced". If the tire place you went to,,, doesn't have that machine... you are fighting a losing battle.

Try a local Ford dealer,,, and ask if they can road force balance the rim and tire assembly. It does make a difference. Maybe also ask them to inspect the suspension. Could be minimal "slop" somewhere causing the vibration.

Even threads on here, (somewhere), where people did the RFB... and half way throught the wear of the tire,,, the vibration came back. Tires are supposed to be rotated every 5000 miles. I alternate "cross rotation" with front to back rotation... in an attempt to keep the tires wearing evenly. So far... I have gone at LEAST the rated milage rating on the tires,,, if not longer.

Is the vibration in the steering wheel,,, or your butt??? Location determines where the issue is. Front or rear, (no pun intended).
I am in Arkansas so that is not very central for me. lol . thanks for the info on the rfb. I will try to find someone to do this.

20170320_180839.jpg

20170320_180852.jpg

20170320_180905.jpg

it was just in the steering wheel with the stock wheels now I can feel it in the steering wheel and in my seat.

Steering wheel vibration is a bit normal with the LS. Partial rack problem,,, and the fact that the factory rims bubble and corrode, (throwing the assemblies out of balance). From my experience,,, the RFB seems to cure most problems. Since you NOW have the problem in both the front and rear... this points out to me that the shop that installed your new rims, (and old tires), didn't have a way... or take the time to RFB your wheel assemblies. Take your LS to a shop that can RFB the wheel assemblies.

Something else to consider. Due to the alignment specs of the LS... improper tire rotation will cause "scuffing" or uneven wear of the tires. A tire rotation will make this more noticeable,,, until the tires wear in to their new location... if the tire rotation hasn't been done at the normal "perscribed" interval.

Even if you are from the "Philly" snowbelt... there may be nothing wrong with your factory rims, (as long as there is no peeling of the chrome and no chrome is "bubbled" underneath).

I had wheels put on my 2003 ls because the tire place said 2 of them were bent. I just left the tire place with all four 8 spoke chrome wheels and it didn't solve the issue. I am giving away the four stock wheels to whoever wants to pay shipping.[/QUO

I took it back to the tire place today and they rechecked the balance. it ended up casting two more new tires. the tires I put on the old wheels were only about 3 months old. I guess I learned not to buy cheaper tires.

I have had VERY good experience with the Discount Tire Chain of stores. I believe they're all over the country.

KS

Great color on that LS, wheels look good on it.

I guess I learned not to buy cheaper tires

Buying cheap ANYTHING doesn't pay. Especially when it comes to the LS. Remeber the old saying... "you get what you pay for".

As Cam said... discount tire is pretty good to deal with. They may try to "upsell" some,,, but they are good at asking the proper questions. Intended purpose... driving style... budget... type of weather you'll be driving in... and so on.

Best thing to look at is the temp rating, traction rating, and treadwear rating. The treadwear rating is sometimes fudged,,, but if you compare that to the milage rating/warranty on the tire... it's not to hard to tell. Tread design and compounds used determines most of this.

A few years back I bought a tire brand with the special "channeling grooves" in them, (different vehicle). Assurance Triple Tread IIRC. They wore good... but were as hard as a rock. In rainy weather... I could punch the pedal on my Panther body,,, and the RR would break lose. Then the traction control would kick in,,, and the LR would start spinning too.

Getting "posi" at 70mph was fun... until the car started going sideways. That got old after a while.

I have had VERY good experience with the Discount Tire Chain of stores. I believe they're all over the country.
agreed, its usually the only place I will go. they definitely are in a lot of places, being founded in Ann Arbor Michigan, they are very heavy here, I've got three with n 20 mins drive of my house (all three are within 5 mins of each other) but they are only in a little over half of the states. twice on the road I've had a flat tire and the closest one was hours away :(

I had wheels put on my 2003 ls because the tire place said 2 of them were bent. I just left the tire place with all four 8 spoke chrome wheels and it didn't solve the issue. I am giving away the four stock wheels to whoever wants to pay shipping.

for your own sake, I'd recommend sending any contact info like your email address in a private/direct message.

no problem man, the last thing you want is some bot or some one to start blowing you up email with all sorts of garbage emails.

Members online

Back