03 aviator ticking pretty bad ... need new motor??

jwaldrop

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I just bought a 03 aviator this week, It had a ticking sound I figured it was no big deal and. Would be a cheap fix. So I called a mechanic I found on Craig's list lol he comes over hears it and says I need to rebuild my motor!? Are there any common problems with these trucks I should check out before I go and spend 4k + getting a new motor. The truck runs great, has a exhaust leak from the manifold I have to fix but other then that and the ticking noise its a nice truck. I don't know if it helps but the ticking goes away when I'm giving it a good amount of gas. I'm hoping to have everything fixed by next weekend so any help would be apr appreciated. Thanks

the aviators has a history of bad valves (burned) even if you have it fixed it was designed to fail again. that's the reason why they are so cheap. usually it's valve #8 but you can try google around.
sorry no help here, either have it repaired or sell it at a loss.

I believe they fixed this design flaw in the late '05 model year... I think it was a flaw with the design of a coolant passage around cylinder #8. It would overheat and fry valves due to inadequate coolant flow. My 05 seems alright for now but I don't push it hard and have about 50k only. This engine in similar form is used in Mustang Mach 1 and Mercury Marauder.

On another note, the plastic trim piece on the tailgate cracked this winter like it is on every Explorer, Mountaineer, and Aviator I see in NE.

Members online

Back