03 AUX INPUT i have searched and need help

Frylock017

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an 03 v6 Premium with Audiophile stereo
which pie do i need to add my MP3 player or any other thing I want (no IPOD)
I have attached images of the back of my radio. it is a 6 disc indash no sat button and it does not say alpine anywhere on the front.

could you all help me out. I really hate using my FM Tx. thanks again!

cimg2275hb9.jpg

cimg2274js9.jpg

cimg2279wp0.jpg

Is this even possible? I would think that the in-dash unit would need to have multiple input devices in order to recognize another input eg: ipod/zune etc... Don't hold me to that because if you get a legit answer to this, I'll be doing it too.

by the way.. i love how it says Ford: made in Mexico :p

I have the same stocker head unit in my '03, and emailed a company about an iPod adapter. I can post the info they told me to look for - as far as cabling to see which kit would work - when I get home from work.

Welcome aboard, BTW.

I have no input for you reguarding this issue.

However, welcome from Master Shake

03 has no input devices for their headunits. That started later in 2004. Best bet is to get a new headunit. Almost ALL ipod inputs made for the LS go from 2000-2002(with 6 disk changer input) and then 2004-2006, they usually skip the 2003's.

As far as I know and have seen, if you have the built in 6 disc on the radio there is no aux output to tap into. When you have a external 6 disc you connect into that connection to the radio, usually lose the external 6 disc then(thats the way our Audis are) because you now removed that connection to use the ipod one.

As far as I know the only options is

1) a fm modulated one (I got the Alpine EX-10, just came out, has bluetooth phone also)http://www.al-eds.com/Alpine-EX10-p18189.html?gclid=COPJ7YSR75ACFShsGgodwHx23A

2) Change the radio

well from what i have read ford does say that you can add a GS6 changer to a 2003 with a harness. (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html - go there and search for---3W4T-18C815-AD<---- thats my radio part number)

then on this web site :---- http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html

it says that it will work with 815 and 870 series radios but the years are 00-02
However my radio is an 815 series.

so im trying to figure out what the connectors on the back of my radio are.
there are 3 of them and i know the one on the far
Left- is the factory Sub AMP
Center- does nothing when i disconnect it with the radio on
Right- i didnt have time to unplug that one yet(can only assume thats the main plug and will kill power to the unit when disconnected.)

what do you guys think i just dont want to spend $70-$80 to find out that im wrong.

Does anyone have a pic of the back of a radio from different years and models?

Here's the info I mentioned earlier:

Tom,
Thanks for your interest in our products and services.
The 2003 Lincoln is listed as compatible with our FRDN/PC-POD2 ipod adapter.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=917
In order for this part to work the Radio MUST have:
1. External cd changer controls -- ability to control a factory cd changer .
2. 20-Pin cd changer port on the back of the radio.
for further verification the radio part number has been forwarded to the manufacturer.. meanwhile you may wish to remove the radio to verify the connector.

Sincerely,
Jay Coban
info@discountcarstereo.com
http://www.discountcarstereo.com
Serving the internet community since 1995.
Thanks for continuance of patronage and dedication to Discount Car Stereo Inc.
M-F 11:00 AM-6:30 PM
Closed Saturday and Sunday

Hope it helps.

Oh yeah, and that's the same exact serial number as my head unit. So that info up there would work (or not) for you.

Is there an AUX input on the Navigation 6 disc THX systems?

I have a 2001 V8 Sport that has the built-in 6cd changer. What kind of Ipod Interface i can use and NOT loose the CD Changer??

Is there an AUX input on the Navigation 6 disc THX systems?

yes there is, you will use the same 20 pin port that you will plug in your satilite radio, and the great thing about it is that you will have full ipod control from the nav screen, when you connect the adapter the FM2 button will dissapear and a new SAT button will appear. do a search on the forum many peaple have done this already.

yes there is, you will use the same 20 pin port that you will plug in your satilite radio, and the great thing about it is that you will have full ipod control from the nav screen, when you connect the adapter the FM2 button will dissapear and a new SAT button will appear. do a search on the forum many peaple have done this already.

Was Satellite radio an option on the 2003 models? If not, then I don't think I'll have that 20 PIN port. Where was everyone getting their adapters?

I have PIE adapter. Got it from www.pie.net, it is an inline device. My stereo didnt have a aux button but when you have this hooked up, if you press CD again it goes in to CDDJ mode as if a cd changer was installed.

On mine you unplug one of the factory harnesses and plug this device in, then you plug the factory harness in to the PIE adapter, and voila! Aux input.

Can anyone tell me which one I can use for my 01 Sport with the Indash 6CD??

I will really appreciate it since I want one ASAP

Was Satellite radio an option on the 2003 models? If not, then I don't think I'll have that 20 PIN port. Where was everyone getting their adapters?
No. "Sirius-ready" was added in the middle of the '04 MY run. Some '03 Nav units can have their firmware updated to be Sirius-ready, but that doesn't apply to the non-Nav units.

As for the '03s and the PIE adapters, they work on some of the '03 units, but not on all of them. The info NYC posted above is the closest I've seen to a definitive answer.

Can anyone tell me which one I can use for my 01 Sport with the Indash 6CD??

I will really appreciate it since I want one ASAP

I have an '02 sport with in-dash, so you would use the FRDN-AUX. Look for it on their site.

CDDJ SW version for indash 6cd audiophile.

it seems like PIE adapters and the CDDJ work together.

so i put my radio in to speker test mode and went to the softwear test(i think its button 4 after entering the speaker test.) scrolled through the menu with the tune button and guess what it said about the CDDJ sw Version....

A bunch of 0000000(zeros)
same with the the last test for rear seat entertainment SW. zeros.

so anyone with PIE adapter What is your SW version for CDDJ? and what year is your radio
if its got a number i guess im out of luck. if its all zeros and you can use your ipod zune PSP etc. i think ill give it a shot.

Thanks for the help all.

Last edited:
If I recall. Before putting the PIE adapter in my car the speaker test told me NO-CDDJ; as for the software version I'm assuming if I had no CDDJ then there would be no software number.

But I can check when I go out to my car to head home from work.

I want to do this too, I have '06 w/nav. I dont want to loose my cd changer. Which harness will make the "fm2" button switch to "sat"?

Are you trying to connect an IPOD or a generic MP3 player?

I can answer you after five today. I have an 06 with navigation and I tried the adapter that I installed in my wife's 04 in the 06 to see if it would work. It did, but I can't remember the model number here. I'll post it when I get home.

Okay, I tried a PIE FRD03-POD/S for a few minutes, and it seemed like it worked correctly. Note that PIE says it is for the 04-05 LS without navigation. However, I tried it on an 06 with navigation and it worked. The FM2 button became SAT1 to SAT3 and the FM1 button became FM1 to FM2.
The method of controlling the IPOD from the touchscreen is not that great, but I think that all of them are unfriendly that way. Song info does display, but only the first several characters.

I bought from
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=150120844459&rd=1,1

When I was searching, I also found this one.
http://www.icarkits.com/product_info.php?products_id=3344
It does say it will work with navigation, but I never tried it. I don't know if it will display song info or not. I wish I could find a PDF of its operations manual to see if it would be easier to operate or not.

Oh man so many links! I guess ill add to the madness for anyone in my shoes.

Anyways i have the 03 model with NAV and i actually dont mind losing my cd player since it broke. I was looking for something that will control generic mp3 player / phones since i dont have an ipod.

The FRDW-AUX adapter is what ill be going with it seems. The FRDN-AUX (linked above) is Not compatible with factory navigation radios.

However on the website im looking at: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdwaux.html
It does not say what type of connecters it will plug into, so im not sure how i can double check before i purchase. I read that the other version (frdn) has a 20-pin plug but i dont know if that carries over for THIS version.

If anyone can chime in it would be great, but it seems im the only one who has the NAV and is looking for a aux input.

Members online

No members online now.
Back