03 6cd player gets hot and skips. 06 any better?

Archer28

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, on a 3 hour trip yesterday my 6CD head unit started getting warm, skipping, and finally giving the CD error messge. The CD's feel pretty hot when ejecting.

I was using CDRs and I know the manual states that they may not work, but dang my Kia played them fine.

Is there any brand of CDR that works best?

If I can get the dealership to replace it, do the headunits in the newer 05-06 models play CDR's better (and generate less heat)?

Your problem is probably the CDRs and not the player itself. The player is designed to used commercial CDs which are thicker than CDRs.

Here's an experiment. Try using the player with regular commercial CDs and see if they skip. If they do, the player may be the problem. If they do not skip, its the CDRs.

FYI, the head unit in my 2003 LS (Alpine system) got quite warm, but I never had a CD skip (I was playing commercial CDs).

Yep, its the CDR's. I know that my commercial discs play fine all the time. I just can't understand why Lincoln couldn't put a player in a $40k car that plays everthing that those in $14k cars play:confused:

Anyone with a newer model, 05 or 06, does your CD player skip and give errors with CDRs?

Thanks

My 2003 has been doing the same thing with CD-Rs ... haven't tried comercial CDs yet.

I have no problems with skipping in my '06, and I had none in my '04, but I never used CD-Rs in either of them. (I have the Visteon Sirius unit and a PIE X3 adapter, so I rarely use my CD changer--I'm either listening to FM, Sirius, or my iPod. About the only time I listen to CDs is on the way home from the store...)

Its most likely the cd's themselves. In both my '02 and '05 i used only cd-r's and never had a problem. Some brands are just crap and degrade after time. If i am not mistaking there are cd-r's for regular data and some made specifically for burning music. As a general rule, dont go for the least expensive kind.

ToddG said:
Your problem is probably the CDRs and not the player itself. The player is designed to used commercial CDs which are thicker than CDRs.

I thought it was the other way around. Am I wrong?

Well I just bought some Maxell CD-R Pro media which is supposedly very good (japanese instead of chinese) and triple coated (thicker).

I'll give them a try. They are about 20% more than the cheaper stuff. I noticed at Walmart that Maxell also has a slightly cheaper media, without the triple coating that is also made in Japan. I may give those a try as well if these work better.

I've been having this problem with my 2000 LS in-dash 6-disc player for some time. It skips when I insert home-burnt CD-R's.

The dealer replaced the player twice with little effect.

I think I have figured out the problem: The player seems to like the old 74 minute CD-R's. I had a few lying around and loaded them into the player--no skipping! I burned 80 min CD-R's and lots of skipping.

Some people have said that commercial pressed CD's don't skip, but I think it's because 99% of commercial CD's are not 80 minutes long. I tried to burn 74 minutes or less on the blank 80 min CD, which still results in skipping.

Any similar results out there? I'm going to try to find a place that still sells 74 min blank CD's...:)

Hey all, on a 3 hour trip yesterday my 6CD head unit started getting warm, skipping, and finally giving the CD error messge. The CD's feel pretty hot when ejecting.

I was using CDRs and I know the manual states that they may not work, but dang my Kia played them fine.

Is there any brand of CDR that works best?

If I can get the dealership to replace it, do the headunits in the newer 05-06 models play CDR's better (and generate less heat)?

I have had zero problems with CD or CD-R in my 2004.

I don’t think you will get the dealer to replace yours when it clearly states CD-R may not function correctly when used in Ford CD players. And I don't see the comparison between your Kia and the LS. I didn't even like using the two names in the same sentence.

OK, I was wrong...I tried another very high quality brand of 80 min CD-R (Mitsui) and there was NO skipping. It's interesting because 80 min Verbatims are considered excellent quality but skip quite a bit.

I didn't tell the dealer that I had CD-R's in there and they never asked. This was when the car was still under warranty. ;)

I have a 2002 and Ive also noticed that when I play burnt cds in my player they skip a lot, but when I buy commercial cd's they never skip. I've also been using the cheap kind of cdr's Im going to try using a high quality cd'r instead to see what happens. Maybe our players like the high class stuff.

My '05 factory 6 disc has earned my name for it, the "Skipomatic". Dealer won't change it out either. The Kenwood CD/DVD player is going in real soon.....

CD-R's, CD-RW's, Commercial CD's; doesn't matter. Can't get them to skip unless they are severly scratched. On the longest of trips though, I have noticed moisture in my glovebox. 2000 LS 6 disc in glovebox.

Members online

No members online now.
Back