03 3.9 V8 AC Compressor ByPass?

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am going to replace the entire AC this coming summer, but is there a shorter belt I could use if I removed the compressor so I can save some money for a few more months? My divorce is close to being final and I am about to sell my house and I am screwed on money right now. I am sure this has been asked on here and answered but someone please let me know if I can do this.

Hi, can't you just disconnect the clutch wire? That should cause the compressor to act as an idler pulley.

Hi, can't you just disconnect the clutch wire? That should cause the compressor to act as an idler pulley.
I could, but the pulley itself is a little jacked up as well. The Belt is skipping around so kinda scares me it could still break the belt.

Sorry about divorce, the replacing of entire ac system is a very big job. I did it on my 04 v8. Messed up the patc connection, that was 700 to fix. The entire dash must be removed to access the evaporator and expansion valve. Best to have help. When your flush again call Milstead and/or Hall's Electric/AC to get it done though not cheap. Good Luck!

Sorry to hear about your divorce. Define "jacked up"... and "skipping around".

Ya know... the tensioner pully is in the same area. If "jacked up" means the belt is trying to come off the A/C pulley... look at the tensioner.

Unless you can obviously see the A/C pulley wobbling.

Sorry to hear about your divorce. Define "jacked up"... and "skipping around".

Ya know... the tensioner pully is in the same area. If "jacked up" means the belt is trying to come off the A/C pulley... look at the tensioner.

Unless you can obviously see the A/C pulley wobbling.
Thanks.
It's not the belt tensioner its the ac pulley that has a little wobble to it making the belt jump a slight bit. I had replaced the tensioner last year and it appears to be good still.

Sorry about divorce, the replacing of entire ac system is a very big job. I did it on my 04 v8. Messed up the patc connection, that was 700 to fix. The entire dash must be removed to access the evaporator and expansion valve. Best to have help. When your flush again call Milstead and/or Hall's Electric/AC to get it done though not cheap. Good Luck!
Thanks
I should clarify my last comment a little more. I am replacing the outside stuff not the stuff in the dash. I have not damaged that stuff so no need thankfully to go that far with it. I just need a temporary fix to get me by till the summer time.

Dale, It might be easier to just replace the pulley on the A/C compressor (which would have a new bearing). That should buy you some time.

This is assuming that the pulley is isolated from the actual compressor pump.

I know that on some vehicles the pulley/bearing can be replaced without losing the refridgerant. It shouldn't matter anyway since you won't be using the compressor.

Finding a shorter belt that would bypass the compressor could take multiple guesses... meaning multiple trips to a parts store.

Sorry about the divorce but what a score on that AC compressor!
They are an easy $350-$450 for a Motorcraft one.

Sorry about the divorce but what a score on that AC compressor!
They are an easy $350-$450 for a Motorcraft one.
I am grateful for that for certain. I may just have it hooked up and leave it unplugged till I replace the Condenser and drier because I would never run that AC till after them 2 things have been replaced. And I was thinking of waiting to do it all when I have my coolant parts replaced in the car being I have to do the radiator during that repair. I had the thermostat housing blow off the motor a few months ago! So I know its time to start preparing for the whole system. I am guessing that happened because the thermostat got stuck and the pressure shot it off. The entire housing was off the motor, the shop said it was a sight to see!

I am grateful for that for certain. I may just have it hooked up and leave it unplugged till I replace the Condenser and drier because I would never run that AC till after them 2 things have been replaced. And I was thinking of waiting to do it all when I have my coolant parts replaced in the car being I have to do the radiator during that repair. I had the thermostat housing blow off the motor a few months ago! So I know its time to start preparing for the whole system. I am guessing that happened because the thermostat got stuck and the pressure shot it off. The entire housing was off the motor, the shop said it was a sight to see!
Nope, that's the way the plastic parts fail. Thermostat open or close does not change the pressure. It's regulated to about 16 PSI by the cap on the degas bottle. The plastic rots.

Nope, that's the way the plastic parts fail. Thermostat open or close does not change the pressure. It's regulated to about 16 PSI by the cap on the degas bottle. The plastic rots.
Oh ok, it happened when I was on the way to work, right as I approached the parking lot so I had it towed to a shop and fixed while I was working, so I never even saw the old one. I had no clue thats how they typically fail! He said it appeared to have blown out thats why I had said that. I honestly did not trust the shop that much and thankfully I knew more about my car than he thought I did. They tried to charge me roughly $800 before I called them out on their BS and then they charged me right at $400 but I was out in the middle of no where and didn't have much of a choice.

Members online

No members online now.
Back