'03 3.9 surging

I agree LOL I cleaned the maf and changed the spark plugs and boots. No more surge. Still running the same coils. I did it all at the same time, so no saying what it was for sure. The air meter makes the most sense to me. It definately was not a typical misfire.

Glad it's running well for you now. I have had both issues. These cars do weird things when the coils are going out Not much I wouldn't consider them being a colprit for, even if it doesn't seem like a misfire.

Glad it's running well for you now. I have had both issues. These cars do weird things when the coils are going out Not much I wouldn't consider them being a colprit for, even if it doesn't seem like a misfire.
Except I didn't change the coils. I believe a large number of misfires come from leaking boots and spark plugs which have arc tracks on the ceramic insulator. Sometimes just changing the boots and plugs as a set will clear up some issues without replacing coils.

The 2 bolts that are in the middle of the valve covers, those should be pretty tight, if not oil finds a way to leak onto the plugs.

The 2 bolts that are in the middle of the valve covers, those should be pretty tight, if not oil finds a way to leak onto the plugs.
Who said anything about oil leaks? There was a drop or two in the rear passenger well, but all others were totally dry. There was no oil on any of the boots.

So is the surging gone now or what?
I thought it was, but it's still there, though it may not be as bad as before. I had to go for a emissions test, which it failed! Seems the check engine light had burned out. It had stored a code of P0108. Which is for Baro sensor high voltage. My buddy who is a very good mechanic suggested the baro was a function of the MAF. Spent $130 and changed the MAF. It still has the code. A little checking online found that the baro is part of the EGR assembly, so that's where it sits now. I'm going to try to get a $108 Motorcraft EGR assembly from the local Motorcraft supplier Saturday morning. I believe that will finally fix the situation, and I'll be able to get my license plates.

The EGR is in and the P0108 is gone and hasn't come back. Maybe this thread will help someone down the road. All the monitors are set with the exception of Evap, and I believe we're still too cold here for that to set. But, it should pass the emissions test.

As far as the surging, it's still there after $260 worth of parts. Not sure what to do next. I've thought about chainging the guides and timing chains, but my buddy thinks it should throw a sync code if there is an issue.

As far as the surging, it's still there after $260 worth of parts. Not sure what to do next. I've thought about chainging the guides and timing chains, but my buddy thinks it should throw a sync code if there is an issue.

I haven't heard of worn timing components causing surging, but I also haven't heard of anyone getting any sync related codes, even when one of their chains jumped a tooth.

hey i have the exact same problem with my 02 linclon ls v8 only at about quarter throttle does it do this surging rytmitc pulse. im an auto mechanic the only thing i can thing of being bad is that the tcc solenoid is engaging and disengaging as if it cant decide if its crusing or not for the torque converty to lockup or not both the techs i work with agree with me im going to to do a trans flush and fluid change in a couple of days then drive it with the scanner and manually disengage the tcc solenoid and see if it doesnt pulse if it doesnt pulse then a new solenoid is in need i will keep you updated but the coils being bad would be easier im just going to check them quick. but like the guy said its a rythem not just random misfire and only in that gear at that speed just like mine seems unlikly that it is a misfire. not saying your wrong but....

Saloking,

Any updates? Mine is still doing it. I also now believe it's a TCC issue, but a trans flush/screen with Motorcraft fluid didn't change a thing.

I read a lot of Jaguar S-type forum posts. It seems more common on the Jags. They suggest a updated flash of the transmission control module. Some also said it's a sign of lock up TC on its last legs.

hey i havent done anything since my last post but i do have acces to the 6000$ snap on versus scan tool and im going to try and drive the car and manually tell the car to de- activate the tcc solenoid if that doesnt fix it i will have to look deeper another thing is while the car is surging you should be able to hit the brake and the shudder should stop if its the tcc cause when the lock up is engaged its like not pushing the cluctch in on a manual when you go to stop it would just kill the engine so technically it should disengage the tcc when i did this to my car it still contuied and i found out if i road the brakes and accelerated it still surged even in 4th gear so my guess with my car is a misfire maybe. but with your car i could see it being the tcc solenoid i will look into it and see what i can do

if the car does need a transmission flash then either you or i should call the closet ford dealership and see if that can be done i will see if the shop i work at can do it but my guess is that its a ford only type of thing and will have to be done there also i will look into a tcc solenoid and see if its possible that i can replace it if it is then i will take pictures and updates for you if you think you can do it your self my guess is that some knowledge of an automatic transmission is required to tear something like that apart keep me updated on what you do and ill do the same thing

if the car does need a transmission flash then either you or i should call the closet ford dealership and see if that can be done i will see if the shop i work at can do it but my guess is that its a ford only type of thing
My buddy has the ability to do flashes at his shop. He does pay some type of subscription, so he should be up to date. I've been working 60-80 hrs a week, but i'll make it over there soon. I will keep you updated.

I believe I did hit the brakes, and there was no change. I'll remind my wife to try it next time it does it on her.

ok i work a crap ton also so let me know how this flash thing works i will try something stupid but im gunna un hook the battery for like 15 min and see if that resets anything i will probably do that tomorrow and reasearch the flash thing

seen this before on this site

this is not a new problem, someone else had it on this site some years back. On my 01V6 it would surge from a vacuum leak or the idle would wander when the IAC valve needed replacement. but I know the problem you have has been discussed before some years back.

so would you direct me to this link and my car does surge a little at idle but not really often does this have anything to do with the surging during driving around 50-60 mph? i could see that being a vaccum leak and would that be the idle air controle valve

so would you direct me to this link and my car does surge a little at idle but not really often does this have anything to do with the surging during driving around 50-60 mph? i could see that being a vaccum leak and would that be the idle air control valve

surging in the 3.9

its been some time ago (years), do a search on surging, you may hit it.

I am new to the forum and have the same problem as stated above.

I have to date; replaced all coils with accel coil packs as someone else has posted, new plugs, and cleaned the MAF

The check engine light will come on after all codes have been cleared, and the code is misfire cylinder 6..........once again changed the coil pack and plug......still the same code.

This surging feels like you forgot to clutch a manual transmission car when letting of the gas and occurs at 1500-1800 rpm.

I don't know?????????

Hey since you did a good job to naarrow it down check the wiring while the ca rd is running put an extra plug in the coil see if it fires if it doesnt the wiring could be faulty or a nreak in the wire follow it back see where it leads you.

The car is still doing it, but I'm starting to wonder if it could be false knock pulling out timing, then giving it back, then pulling timing.... I've had this issue on my Grand National before and it felt a lot like this. It turns out my passenger side motor mount is broken, so we'll see if it's better after I change the motor mounts.

...I have to date; replaced all coils with accel coil packs as someone else has posted, new plugs, and cleaned the MAF

Did you reverse the polarity of the wiring to the Accel coils?

the problem happened to be one of the new motorcraft plugs was bad, cheap fix.

now onto other problems.........

Well, I got rid of the surging. It only cost $2200:eek: The PCM went bad which caused some weird shifting (banging third hard, shuddering bad in and out of fourth). The trans shop rebuilt the 5r55s for $1600, but there were still shifting issues. I don't know what for sure or if the overhaul made any changes, since I didn't drive it right after the overhaul. They did say the servo bores were very worn, which is common on even low mile 5-speed auto Fords. Anyhow they installed a PCM and flashed it for $600. The trans shifts WAYYY better than it ever has in the 120,000 miles I've owned the car, and the surging is completely gone. I'm guessing it was the TC causing the surge. It's impossible to say for sure, since so many things were changed at once.

This is good info Gus. Mine was doing the shuddering Monday on the way to work and at lunch time. In the morning, it would shudder going up grades but not on flat sections or down hill, cruise was set at 55. At lunch time it shuddered getting on the highway and again going up hill but not on flats or down hill. Monday evening and yesterday, I couldn't get it to act up anywhere. But I didn't have any of the shifting symtoms that you described. No CEL or anything yet. I put injection cleaner in it last night and I'll have my mechanic do fuel filter before I do anything else. Yup, these things are tempermental but they are such damn good cars it's worth a little headache now and then.

Members online

No members online now.
Back