'02 V8 Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner

theophile

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
'02 V8 Sport. I know the problematic plastic secondary timing chain tensioners were upgraded to the better metal ones part way through the '02 model year. I've noticed that AllData and FordPartsGiant both have the note "From 5/14/01" associated with the upgraded metal tensioner, which makes me think 5/14/01 was the date they started using the upgraded part in the '02 models at the factory.

According to the CARFAX for my car, it says "Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer" on 11/29/2001, which makes me think I'm likely to already have the "good" tensioners.

Also, I managed to find this picture I took almost exactly 7 years ago when I replaced the valve cover gaskets (the first time):
IMG_20141119_105010.jpg

It looks to me like it has the metal housing of the upgraded tensioner but would appreciate confirmation from anyone who has more experience with this.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to have to replace the VCGs again (oil everywhere) and would use the opportunity to replace the timing chain tensioners if they're the problematic ones. If they're already the metal ones, I'm inclined to leave them alone.

I see that they also upgraded the primary chain

Last edited:

Members online

Back