'02 V8, P0456, P0422, stall on slow speed right turn

mkc

LVC Member
Reaction score
Question for the gurus and those who have BTDT...

'02 V8, just under 80k miles. 2017 right after annual inspection/emissions threw an evap leak code (no driveability issues). Shop smoked the car, but after lots of searching could only find a tiny leak at the fuel transfer seal (something behind the rear seats). Repaired seal. No issues for a year.

2018 right after annual inspection/emissions, another CEL. This time we had our own ODBII reader - P0456, very small evap leak. We replaced the fuel cap thinking it was awfully coincident with the emissions testing, reset the light, no issues for a few months. CEL the other day after driving for about 1/2 hour, P0422 (small evap leak) pending, P0456 active. Again, reset the light and actually hoped this meant something more solid would show up as those "very small" leaks are really challenging to find. Today, while making a very slow speed turn in a parking lot, and with nearly a full tank of fuel, the car stalled out (it has never done that before).

Any thoughts - anyone with similar experience? We just moved to a new area and don't have an established relationship with a local shop.

Michelle

For closure, Ford dealer here in TN found the fuel tank leaking at the top around the fuel transfer/evap lines. Apparently part of the fuel tank itself, not something replaceable. Given no new replacement tanks are available, they dropped and repaired the tank and reinstalled.

I definitely would have preferred something like the evap canister purge valve, but at least the local Ford dealer seems to be cost-conscious.

Just throwing this out there, but if anyone uncovers a NOS tank and lines for a 2002 V8, let me know (have checked Tasca, FPN, and RockAuto). I've seen used ones on eBay, but who knows if those wouldn't have or be close to developing the same issue. So far, so good on this repair, but the leak usually took a couple of hundred miles to throw a code. I wouldn't mind having parts waiting in the wings....

Members online

No members online now.
Back