02 LSE V8 vs. 03 V8.... which?

eeprete

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've found a couple of LS's I am interested in. One is an 02 LSE black, chrome wheels, yada yada, the other an 03 LS, but burgendy, clean, the Sport model with a V8 (not overly thrilled with the color, but my wife likes the color).

Both are in the same price range (16,5) with mileage around 50K. The 02 is private seller (orig owner all documentation), whereas the 03 is a dealer car (not certified).

Finally, I've also found an '04 V6 Black Lux for the same price with 12K miles, but no moonroof (not a dealbreaker as I've had my share of t-top cars and am selling my droptop GT now for this purchase).

I love the 02 LSE (but don't like chrome rims), but many people here have said stick with the 03's and up. Dependability wise, which would be the wiser purchase?

If I had an endless cashflow, I'd simply get an 04 or 05 black LSE and swap the rims for the reg LS Sport rims, but don't have that extra 7-8K to spend on a car I will drive less than 5K miles per year.

When I went looking for an LS, I decided it would have to be an 03+ simply because of more HP and all the improvements of the platform. Plus, I like the exhaust tips. :)

I would only go with the '02 if you really like the styling of that model better. The '03 does have a lot of improvements. Don't go with the V-6, you won't be happy. I had a similar decision and chose the '02 LSE because I really like the looks of that particular model.

I agree

Tispco said:
I would only go with the '02 if you really like the styling of that model better. The '03 does have a lot of improvements. Don't go with the V-6, you won't be happy. I had a similar decision and chose the '02 LSE because I really like the looks of that particular model.

I have an '00 (pretty much the same as the '02) and an '06. I prefer the new one hands down! The extra power, cooled seats, stiffer chassis and the other 497+ imnprovements.

eeprete said:
the other an 03 LS, but burgendy, clean, the Sport model with a V8 (not overly thrilled with the color, but my wife likes the color).

Whats wrong with burgandy?

burgandyls.jpg

Decisions,decisions; you should drive all three cars and form an opinion based on your personal preferences such as styling differences between first an second gen LS's,mileage,condition,colors,and last but not least,options.I loved this car since I first saw one at my local Licoln-Mercury dealer back in
late '99. I was ready to buy a spankin' new 2002 red LS in summer of '02,but at the time I did not have enough "established" credit and I did not want to have my parents co-sign incase something happened where I couldn't pay for my car.Fast forward to summer 2005 and I bought a brand new one (sweetest car in town) and I love it.If I had bought one new back in 2002,I would still have it today.As mentioned above the 2003 model introduced 500 changes and/or refinements,making a great car even better.some like the new headlights,some like the previous model's taillamps,and so on and so on.
2003-06 models have slight differences such as wheels and colors.I did not go for the '06 because I like the car without the body kit and that's the only way to get them (according to the dealer).Whatever choice you make,it will be the right one!

eeprete said:
Dependability wise, which would be the wiser purchase?
Finally, I've also found an '04 V6 Black Lux for the same price with 12K miles,

Dependability wise.......I would go with the '04 and buy the best ESP from Ford that I could if I was trully worried about dependability. Looks and performance though, I would go for the LSE

Members online

Back