02 LSE All But Sold - Vent

Pete02LSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this aggravates anyone or anyone thinks I'm FLM bashing but...the LS has given me a bad first impression of FLM. I've always been a GM guy (with partiality to Chevrolet...see below) but...I liked what I saw with the LS...rear drive, V8, good performance and great handling. Not to mention all of the engineering that went in to achive this. I wish I would have researched it a little more before buying.

To the bad...our 02 LSE is currently in the shop to have the valve body replaced at a total cost of around $900 (I hope this fixes it..the service tech seemed fairly confident). I have had it with this all but fragile car. I understand it wasn't designed to be beat on but...when my wife is the primary driver and stuff breaks (I know...I know...these things could have already been broken)...something is way wrong. If I drove it all the time, there's no telling what would have broken by now and my only mods are intake and exhaust.

Let's see...valve cover gaskets...coils...transmission valve body. All of which total about $1300 in right at 2 years and 25k. That's just ludicrious. At least I saved a bunch of money on the labor for the first two repairs. Where's the quality?

Let's compare...

1996 GMC Sonoma - (4.3L/auto) - Purchased new - traded at 75k - Never a thing wrong with it. Basic maintenance items only. Did OK on trade-in...enough to get a good payment on the Camaro.

1999 Grand Prix GT (3.8L/auto) - Purchased new - Traded at 75k - Never a thing wrong with it. Basic maintenance items only. Trade-in sucked but...it was a vanilla car...there were zillions sold and re-sold.

1999 Camaro SS (5.7L/M6) - Purchased new - 75k - modded with bolt-on's to push almost 400hp at the crank (yup...it's been dynoed). Never a thing wrong with it...basic maintenance items only. Even the stock clutch still works...it's weak but...will still spin second. Whenever driven (at least once a week and on the weekends) sees 5.5K power shifts.

1994 Silverado (5.7L/auto) - Purchased with 150k - 204k - At 175k, needed a fuel pump, coil and ECM. Nothing else...basic maintenance items. And this is my daily driver in Atlanta traffic. It regularly sees 5k for passing and 80 mph plus for sustained driving (for those that know...this is normal for Atlanta). At 50k and 2 years maybe $700 in repairs.

1991 S-10 (2.5L/M5) - Purchased with 103k - Sold at 175k - At 170k, needed a clutch. Nothing else...basic maintenance items. It survived many 5k runs and 80 mph. Occasionally I would shift without the clutch...sometimes a little grind...still never a hiccup. I sold this truck for $250 less than I paid for it. So, 75k/3 years and maybe $700 in repairs. Overall cost of $950.

Some may think I'm nuts for fixing the Lincoln then selling. That's because I cannot sell a car to an individual knowing there's a problem with it. So...for owning it for 2 years and 25k miles...repairs ($1300) and depreciation ($5k if I'm lucky...would be almost $8k if I traded it)...we are looking at an overall cost of $6300. Maybe I just expected more because I thought this was the end-all-be-all of quality cars. I know...maybe that was a lot to expect.

I really feel for folks that bought these new and drive them beyond warranty. Seems like these were good candidates to sell before the warranty ended...that or...if you are still under warranty, go over it with a fine tooth comb. From what I've read, the problems that I had with the LS are very common and the cost was in line.

Thanks to the technical support provided here...it equals that of LS2.com or GM-Trucks.com.

-Pete
02LSE

Actually you are right, quality wise the LS is a very poor choice that somebody can make. But yours is still good. I spent about $7000 in repairs on mine in last 3 years.

I think it might be going soon for another Bimmer.

HyeLifeLS said:
Actually you are right, quality wise the LS is a very poor choice that somebody can make. But yours is still good. I spent about $7000 in repairs on mine in last 3 years.

I think it might be going soon for another Bimmer.

$7k...holy crap. That'd be heads/cam/clutch and a set of drag radials for my SS...and almost enough left over for a 12 bolt.

As I have posted previously, we have looked at Avalanches, 4 door Silverados, Tahoes and Trailblazers. Right now, it's looking like we will go with an 03-04 Tahoe. Plenty of power, size and a proven power train...that's simple to work on...which is key because if something does break with the tranny...at least I'd have a clue on how to fix it.

I think the problem with the LS is that its to complex. To many electronics and computers. When everything is good the car is a dream, but one thing knocks to much out of whack. Granted the valve body and VC gaskets could be considered mechanically aspects, but it seems once these are replaced with newer ones they are reliable. I'd like to know how many have had recurring mechanical problems vs recurring electrical problems. My money would be on the electrical problems. Mabye Bill Gates has stock in the company that suplpies these components to FORD. That way they will crash alot and need dealership help, kinda like many people using Windows :D

The valve body and the solenoid packs had been changed twice on my LS. The second set seams to last. Knock on wood.

I also want to mention that I have drive my LS about 80,000 since I bought it in 2003 and now it has 115,000.

Since we are now keeping score....

LS8 '03 w/ 65K miles

Required fixes beyond standard maintenance
3 COPs (1 under warranty), 1 Throttle Position Sensor in <30K miles.

~$300 + $75 = ~$375

Enhancements because the stock wasn't getting it done and service said "everything was working fine" though it was obvious to me there had been a degredation in braking performance: new aftermarket rotors and pads.

~$400

02 LS8 Bought with 21,500 3/31/06

Currently has 42,000 miles.

Only maint. i have done is oil changes, pads for front brakes, and new tires. Oh and windshield wipers.

So far she seems fairly reliable.

Pete02LSE said:
I apologize if this aggravates anyone or anyone thinks I'm FLM bashing but...the LS has given me a bad first impression of FLM. I've always been a GM guy (with partiality to Chevrolet...see below) but...I liked what I saw with the LS...rear drive, V8, good performance and great handling. Not to mention all of the engineering that went in to achive this. I wish I would have researched it a little more before buying.

HUGE MISTAKE man.

That's comparing a banana to a grape.

Keep Chevy with a Ford, and Caddys with the Lincolns. They are much more complex machines compared to a Chevy so it IS gonna cost more. Hell the name at least gives a price boost.

Keep the playing field level. Compare those prices to ANY Cadillac engine. You will NOT like it...

(yesh, I'll be the devil's advocate)

Current: '02 LS8, 56k
Purchased: 4/2005 with 32k

Repairs:
  • VC Gaskets (Home repair)
  • 2 Coils (Warranty)
  • Coolant tank (Home repair)
  • AC Blend door (Warranty)

Redwingvksm said:
HUGE MISTAKE man.

That's comparing a banana to a grape.

Keep Chevy with a Ford, and Caddys with the Lincolns. They are much more complex machines compared to a Chevy so it IS gonna cost more. Hell the name at least gives a price boost.

Keep the playing field level. Compare those prices to ANY Cadillac engine. You will NOT like it...

(yesh, I'll be the devil's advocate)

Aiiighhhtt...I'll bite.

While it's not the same year...my Dad has a 92 Eldorado that he's had pretty much since new. FYI...it does not have the Northstar in it. He currently has 175k on it and has NEVER had any major work done on it. Just routine maintenance...oh...and routine to him is...when it's broken...get it fixed. About all he keeps up with are the oil changes. Everything else...no clue. So, to that end...he's spent significantly less on a 14 year old car than I have and his idea of routine maintenance varies greatly from mine. So...the Caddy seems to hold up well. Prior to that...he had a 93 Seville for a short time...never a problem...prior to that...an 89 Sedan DeVille...with the crappy 4.5L (at least I think)...and finally...an 87 Sedan DeVille...same motor...I think. At any rate...the only one that EVER gave them any problems was the 87 and I think they were fuel related.

Also...I'll agree that not comparing Chevy to Lincoln on the resale standpoint...but...from a reliability standpoint...the Lincoln should be above Chevy...at least in my book. That's like trying to compare a Nissan and an Infiniti...which do you expect to hold it's value more and which do you expect to be more reliable? To me...it's not a question of which one holds it's value...just look at what I've driven...91 S-10...94 Silverado...neither of these are soaring through the Black Book dealer guide..but...you can better believe...they are reliable.

My $.02.

-Pete
02LSE

Had my 02 LS for about a year, has 54K miles and the only problem I have had is with the stereo and had to spend $750 on tires.

:D

I have spent $0 repairing my '02. Granted it is still under warranty, but the fact is, nothing has broken and required repair. OK, there is one thing... the rear license plate frame separated from the body and was replaced under warranty. That's it. No engine or mechanical repairs. I have never so much as paid for an oil change (Lincoln does).

03 70,000

trans solenoid pack
8 plug boots
1 coil
8 spark plugs
VC gaskets
1 windsheild
1 nav head unit (my fault I think)
1 nav dvd player and rear deck unit (my fault I think)
2 backup sensors
1 parking brake solenoid
1 power steering pump (my fault maybe)
brake pads all around (normal wear)
bottom line is get a warranty. I've only had to pay for the plug boots, spark plugs, and windsheild insurance deductable. As far as major mechanical failure, I haven't had one and feel the car is reliable in that department. Also some of the things replaced probably wouldn't bother some but I guess I nit pick my car to much. I gotta make sure I get my warranties worth, which I have.

Cameron said:
Had my 02 LS for about a year, has 54K miles and the only problem I have had is with the stereo and had to spend $750 on tires.

:D

If you haven't replace the VC gaskets and coil packs...get ready. The coil pack failure was not that apparent at 54k. At 65k it was very much so...especially at high rpm.

If you have an extended/aftermarket warranty, go ahead and change the plugs...then when you find oil in the wells...turn it in to your warranty company and get it fixed. On the 02s it's not a question of if the VCs will leak...but a question of when.

All of that assumes you have an LS8.

-Pete
02LSE

o gosh, ya at 81,000 miles now, bought it at 57k, lets see VC gaskets, all 8 coils replaced (to be sure), valve body on tranny, about 3 window regulators, new rear view mirror, a/c dual climate valve (not fixed yet), and i feel a new alternator comming on..... these dang 2000's

Members online

No members online now.
Back