02 LS touchscreen Dual AC w/ iData Link Maestro

Linc615

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but it has been a lifesaver for me in repairs since I purchased my project car, 2002 LS V8. Has anyone here had success at installing iDatalink Maestro to replace their ac headunit to the touch screen all in one headunit with stereo, nav, ac, etc.

Or has anyone successfully done it with their own install of an iPad or android tablet eliminating the use of the OEM ac head unit?

If you have pics post them I am looking to do this project this week, just don't want to buy a bunch of parts if it won't work. I want an iPad Pro in dash but im unsure of the linkage with ac controls and im not trying to write software to enable it but if its out there ill be glad to purchase it..

Thanks!

That DATC is not just the display and buttons. It is also the microcontroller that operates the AC system, the A-to-Ds that read the multiple sensors, the drivers that operate the air door servos and the DCCV solenoids, and so on. Given the low volume of the LS, it seems very unlikely that you are going to find any hardware that replaces all that.

Thanks for quick reply I appreciate it. Any experience or idea of anyone successfully installing a "like oem" touchscreen without going the second gen thx route in such a small area to work with? I'm considering relocating the ac controls if I have to below the vents and that would open more roo .

Plenty of people have installed aftermarket double din touch screens in both generations. There's no need to move the climate controls. You just need:
Metra 95-5000B Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for 2000-2006 Lincoln LS or 2002-2005 Ford T-Bird (Silver, Black)

I don't think anyone makes a unit that can control the climate controls. At least not for the first gen ones since they don't use a CAN-BUS system.
I installed a Joying widescreen unit in mine with a bunch of accessory options. I love it but it does have some little issues that had to be worked around.
One of my biggest gripes with it, and actually all Android head units from what I understand, is they all hobble the Bluetooth stack so it only allows a couple things like a phone & OBD. And most of the time they try to make it so you can only use the BT accessories they sell.

20200403_111731.jpg

I don't think anyone makes a unit that can control the climate controls. At least not for the first gen ones since they don't use a CAN-BUS system.
I installed a Joying widescreen unit in mine with a bunch of accessory options. I love it but it does have some little issues that had to be worked around.
One of my biggest gripes with it, and actually all Android head units from what I understand, is they all hobble the Bluetooth stack so it only allows a couple things like a phone & OBD. And most of the time they try to make it so you can only use the BT accessories they sell.

View attachment 828573900
I second what Luna said. I have a similar one and that has been an issue also...on top of the system crashing and being slow. Tho it is nice to have forescan in dash, or to use torque as a secondary gauge cluster

JPEG_20200325_074408.jpg

That bites, Duke. How much ram and space did you get on your unit? Mine's fast as hell. It's running Android 8.1 with 4g ram and 64g space.
Did you get your steering wheel hooked up? Mine was a little bit of a bitch but I got it working though the unit won't recognize long presses. I think I'll end up getting iDataLink's Maestro to remedy that problem. It really sucks though that I can't connect whatever BT device I want either. Tried connecting my Logitech keyboard and it sees it but it won't connect to it. I'm over on xda-developers Android Head Unit section of their forums and it looks like there are some workarounds. Mainly rooting. Not sure if I'm familiar or comfortable enough with this thing yet to do that.

Ah. That's like my phone. Which is why I went with the largest they had. I can't run much on my phone.

Thanks for all the replies and info, so for me if I end up going with the android unit It will be rooted, Im trying to narrow my options down to what brand tablet is best for this job that has an unlockable bootloader, anyone done this as well, and what tablet did you find works best? @LunaEros I like your size on the screen, I've actually never heard of joying im gonna search them now, the gaudy "joying" printed on the front of it tho, no label should be that big lol.. @DuKeNoMaD what brand is your tablet and how do you have it mounted? im looking to make a flush (almost flush) mount that doesn't move around or come out, once its in its staying there. Anyone have any input on which of the 3 I should lean toward more...

1- Android.. Brand(?)
2- iPad Pro
3- Alpine ILX or X series (the easy route)

ill post some pics of progress soon maybe this week, im also putting in gen 2 HID lights im tackling the wiring difference today ill be looking thru forum to see how you guys did it.

To start with, Linc, they aren't tablets. They are dedicated Android Multimedia/Nav head units designed specifically for cars. The problem with using a tablet is you can't get the same functionality as you can with a dedicated head unit. Such as an AM/FM radio with RDS, backup cams, front dvr dash cams, tire pressure monitoring systems, built-in amplifiers with digital signal processing, SPDIF out, sub out, line level out, etc, etc. The down side with a dedicated unit is most makers tend to try and limit Android's functionality and customizing ability. BUT there are work arounds for that. On the site xda-developers.com they have a forum section just for those type of things. There are many very knowledgeable Android hackers there that know how to make most things work the way you want and if no one does odds are someone is working on it.
I agree with you on the name of my unit. I plan on finding a Lincoln gel badge or something to cover that with.
This is where I got mine from...
Joying 8.8 Inch Single Din Android Auto Carplay Car Radio Head Unit Support 4G Internet
You can also find Android head units on Amazon and eBay from many different manufacturers.
A few of the most functional (relatively) top brands are Joying, XTRONS, ATOTO, Dasaita .....

Happy hunting. Let us know what you decide to go with. :)

What Luna said. And my unit does not actually have a "brand". But it does have a nice graduated curve. I plan on modifying my message center button location and frenching it in to the dash. But as far as quality...if I were to do this again I would go for a more $$ higher quality unit

Members online

No members online now.
Back