02 LS tail light issues

Rosewood

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 02 3.9L LS just started having lighting issues. The left rear turn signal isn't working and the right rear tail lights are not working. Bulbs seem ok. Also, the interior light wouldn't come on. Some preliminary reading had me thinking the rear electronic module is the culprit, so I took it out and inspected for obvious issues, but nothing was apparent. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. When I put it back together, everything was working. Got up this morning and again the left rear turn signal is not working and right rear tail lights are not working. Is this most likely the rear electronic module? Or could the FEM be the issue? I wonder about the FEM because of the interior lights, or are they controlled by the REM? I have been looking online at REMs and have found a few that are the same part number as mine. YW4T-13B520-AB. If the REM is the issue, will a used module with the same part number have to be programmed? Is the dealer the only one that has the ability to program it, or are there local repair shops that can do it? Will dealers still work on an 02 model? Years ago (maybe 04 or so), I had the local dealer tell me they wouldn't work on anything older than 10 years old, not sure if that applies, or if it was because it was 90 model F150 I wanted them to look at.

Thanks,
Rosewood

The FEM controls the interior lights. It could be the REM, or it could be something else. It could be a data network problem, which could be caused by wiring or any of several modules. You probably really need a deep scan by a dealer level tool.
I think that it is up to each dealer if they want to work on cars older then 10 years or not. Most probably aren't very good at it though.
A used REM shouldn't have to be reprogrammed if it came from a similarly optioned LS.

Spoke with local repair shop that runs an honest business and he says he has the ability to reprogram etc. Said a reprogram of the existing REM might fix it.

I went home last night and figured I would go ahead and replace all the tail lights for good measures. Replaced them and tested old which were all good. Still left blinker was not working and right tail light not working. Disconnected battery, shorted ground cable to positive cable and left for better than an hour. Hooked cable up and everything is working now. Drove to work and everything worked this morning. Will have to wait and see if the issue comes back and then I will take it to the repair shop for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Rosewood

Hi rosewood, I would like to know if you were able to solve the issue cause I’m having the same problem as to where my right taillight is working but the left isn’t and my left rear indicator is working but the right isn’t, everything else is fine

Members online

No members online now.
Back