02 LS LSE problem.

Dmeadows87

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2002 Lincoln LS LSE v8 from someone that didn't have the time to make repairs on it. I have a list of issues I need some assistance with.
The first one being, when I drive the car after about 2-3 minutes the brake light comes on and the steering wheel tightens up. It's definatly drivable but I can tell a difference in the steering.
Next the front bumper is messed up and I've seen a replacement is pricey. Is there any alternative like a new model that would fit?

I've wondered if anyone ever believed those car ads that said "It's a simple/cheap fix. I just don't have time to do it right now." Now I know.

You'll need a good, Ford specific, scan tool to figure out what is going on. At a glance, it sounds like it might with a problem with the FEM or with the data network.

Only the LS uses the LS bumper, one from any other car is not going to fit. You can put a gen I non-LSE bumper on. You can make a gen II bumper work, but you'll have to change some other things too.

Best to get that 02 LSE bumper cover fixed and keep it with that car, the 1st GEN LSE is a specific bumper not found on others. You could put just a regular Sports' bumper on it but it won't look right. You're limited to the 1st GEN 99-02 covers as the 2nd GEN fitment to a 1st GEN LS will leave a slight cap.

2002 Lincoln LSE for sale OR parting out

^ if it's the same cover as the one for sale in the above link, you need to keep it with the car.

There are LS bumper covers and then there are LSE bumper covers.
Your 02 LSE is specific to that year. Yes they are pricey to replace if you can even find one. Just send it out for repair.

I knew the car had problems when I bought it. I never buy a project car with the thought it will be a cheap easy fix. Never have any luck with that.

So basically I'm stuck with the gen 1 bumper and trying to find one. I saw the link to the one above but it will be a few weeks before I can afford it so i figure it will be gone by then.

Also forgot to mention, I have to turn the advanced traction control off in order to drive. If I don't turn it off the car hardly drives other than puttering when I try to accelerate. I researched and saw it may be a wheel speed sensor? Does this sound about correct?

...Also forgot to mention, I have to turn the advanced traction control off in order to drive. If I don't turn it off the car hardly drives other than puttering when I try to accelerate. I researched and saw it may be a wheel speed sensor? Does this sound about correct?

Either you have AdvanceTrac, or you have traction control. Which do you have?
Again, you need a Ford specific scan tool to read the codes to have any clue what to do. Your LS will get much more expensive if you plan to just throw parts at it. As it is, with correct diagnosis and only replacing the truly defective parts, this car is expensive to fix. The main problem is that parts are expensive because so few are shared with any other car.

So basically I'm stuck with the gen 1 bumper and trying to find one. I saw the link to the one above but it will be a few weeks before I can afford it ...

Never mind trying to find another 02 LSE cover, they are rare and worth money.
It's specific to that year. Cheaper to take it off yourself and bring it to a Mom&Pop body shop.
If it's not a tri-coat color, which it shouldn't be for that year. They'll have you fixed up cheaper then you could find that specific cover and then have it color matched. Honestly ... if it was me, I'd rework that one you currently already have.

... I have to turn the advanced traction control off in order to drive. If I don't turn it off the car hardly drives other than puttering when I try to accelerate. I researched and saw it may be a wheel speed sensor? Does this sound about correct?

... You'll need a good, Ford specific, scan tool to figure out what is going on ...

^ pay attention to this joegr guy, he's kinda a big deal around here. He'll never steer you wrong and knows everything you'll ever need to know about any Lincoln LS.

If your ABS and Traction control fault indicator lamps are one, it's a good bet to start looking at wheel speed sensors, however the problem could be deeper then that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back