'02 LS, looking at audio upgrade options

mkc

LVC Member
Reaction score
So..... having now experienced Android Auto in our new F150, I'm looking into upgrading the original audio head (6 CD) in my LS. I've zero'd out enough of the mechanicals in the last year that we'll be hanging onto it for a while (plus I just love the car).

Spent some time on a chat with Crutchfield last night, their suggestions were either Pioneer AVH-2330NEX or Kenwood Excelon DDX-9903S. I like the interface on the Kenwood slightly better, but it appears to be a discontinued model with disappointing reviews on Amazon.

Has anyone installed either of these (or the Pioneer AVH-4200/01NEX units) in their LS? I'm intrigued at the idea of adding a backup camera to the LS with the 4201 head. I'm not that interested in a head with NAV since I'm more likely to use an Android app through Android Auto like Google Maps or Waze.

Thanks,

Michelle

I've installed tons of all of those radios, the kenny and the 4200 (the 4201 is just a 4200 box with their back up cam in the same box) are both very good units with great sound processors and controls to get great sound.

the biggest difference I would say is that series of kenwood models(ending with a #3)are two years old and have a noticeable delay when you press a button and how long it takes to respond. last years models (anything ending with a #4) and the brand new models that just came out (anything ending with a #5) have faster processors and are a lot more responsive. and the new DDX9705s features a capacitive touch screen instead of clear resistive screens that most touch screen radios have been using for years, and when it comes to screens, capacitive screen are night and day better and are the kind of screens that all smart phones use. on top of that its one of the first radios released to feature wireless Android Auto and depending on your time frame for doing this should be in stores in a month or two.

as for the pioneer, the 4200 is also an older model and the 2330 is a new, slightly lower end model (with pioneer, 1000 series is the entry level and they step up in thousands until you get to their flagship 8000 series) and as such features their newer interface which is pretty darn snappy, and the only things you lose going down to a 2k series vs the 4k series is that the 2330 only has one USB port and can not do dual cameras (for a front bumper cam)

honestly, when it comes down to android auto and car play radios, I strongly recommend going with as new as a model as possible as they continue to get more and more reliable and less glitchy with every updated new model. also newer models support dual phone connection at the same time and also support high res file formats.

Last edited:
honestly, when it comes down to android auto and car play radios, I strongly recommend going with as new as a model as possible as they continue to get more and more reliable and less glitchy with every updated new model. also newer models support dual phone connection at the same time and also support high res file formats.

Thanks for responding, and great info! I agree on the response of capacitive vs. resistive touch screens.

I just took a look to see why I missed the 9705s; I wasn't looking at any heads with NAV in them since it's a feature I wouldn't likely use (more likely to do Google Maps or Waze), so I didn't see any reason to pay for that feature.

Any other units you would recommend I consider? Looking to keep it below the $500-700 mark if possible given neither the car nor I are spring chickens and it doesn't get driven much. I'm not in a hurry and can definitely wait a few months.

Thanks!

the 9704s is a year newer system than the 9903 you mentioned above and it is as good as you can get with out having built in nav and can be found for $500
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX9704S-Receiver-CarPlay-Android/dp/B073HV44CM

and since the 9705s with be brand new what it get released, I doubt it will be found for that cheap for a good while.

any of pioneers NEX models such as the 2330 will also be great.

Members online

No members online now.
Back