02 LS best window fix????

gixxer1kr

LVC Member
Reaction score
I heard the popping on my driver side window. Motor is fine but my guess is the plastic clips failed. What is my best bet. I did find replacement clips. Or should I just do the whole regulator and what brand. Thanks guys. It just don't go up all the way.

I heard the popping on my driver side window. Motor is fine but my guess is the plastic clips failed. What is my best bet. I did find replacement clips. Or should I just do the whole regulator and what brand. Thanks guys. It just don't go up all the way.

As long as the motor is fine I would just do the regulator. I bought Dorman...

It is often too late to just replace the clips after it has failed completely. The cable and the reel get damaged.

As long as the motor is fine I would just do the regulator. I bought Dorman...

Yeah I just ordered the whole Dorman assemble for $57 I'll save the stock motor just in case. This car never stops lol

I don't know much, but I do know that the motors and regulators go bad all the time on these things... the regulator in mine was replaced at 60k by the previous owner. That same regulator went out at 100k... this time with the motor ... but we couldn't tell if it was the regulator that burnt out the motor or visa versa. It's probably a bad mfg design and worth it to replace the entire assembly while you're in there with something other than the OEM stuff... my friends LS did the same thing. So I would be cautious of just replacing piece by piece since the entire design seems to be bad... but that's just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

my motor is fine as well i can hear something spinning.. what happened was i removed my tint on the drivers door and didnt realize the left over glue was left on and rolled the window down and pop.. can i purchase just the clip or what?

Really? I've replaced 4 in 4 LSes over 15 years...

I've replaced two regulators on two LSes over the last 12 years. No motors yet.
I had a 94 Grand Marquis and I replaced all window regulators in it, some more than once, all before the 100K mark.
I have a 325i that have been through three regulators so far.

my motor is fine as well i can hear something spinning.. what happened was i removed my tint on the drivers door and didnt realize the left over glue was left on and rolled the window down and pop.. can i purchase just the clip or what?

If you've run the motor since the pop, then you'll really need the whole regulator assembly.

If you've run the motor since the pop, then you'll really need the whole regulator assembly.
Exactly. I did this, herd it spinning and whirring and said "oh it's just the regulator, the motor is fine". Turns out it wasn't fine.

Just did mine. I tried to do just the $8 clips, but the cable had gotten pinched inside the pulley and was frayed. So I just ordered the whole motor and regulator assembly for $55 online. Worked perfectly.

Waiting for delivery of my Dorman right front regulator with motor. I decided to get one with the motor thinking (hopefully) it would be pre-indexed to the regulator so the one-touch operation would be all set. My question is about the foam waterproofing sheet you have to remove to get at the door guts: What adhesive should I use to re-apply that, realizing I may have to remove it in the future?

for what its worth, I'd probably take the new motor off and use the OEM motor instead as the OEM parts are definitely better quality. expectantly when considering how well other dorman parts for the LS turn out.

also be careful when bolting the new regulator to the door, as the cheap dorman studs will snap if you look at them wrong.

Can these clips be the culprit of excessive rattle from the door when you close it? Sounding like the glass isn't completely secure inside the door?

Can these clips be the culprit of excessive rattle from the door when you close it? Sounding like the glass isn't completely secure inside the door?

I believe so, and now would be the time to replace them, before full failure and loss of regulator.

Put the Dorman regulator (with motor) in with no issues. So glad I took bunches of pics as I pulled out the old one. Works great, one-touch up and down work perfectly. Now let's hope the other three hold up.

I didn't care much for this repair, needed a bandaid afterwards. Fn thing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back